American citizen married to Brit

I've trawled through the many postings in this section but can't find a similar situation to mine.

I am a US citizen and have been married to a Brit since 1975, during which time I have lived and worked continuously in the UK, paying NI, etc. Our three kids all have dual nationality, holding UK and US Passports.

We plan to move to France permanently and I am considering applying for UK nationality to make it easier. The cost will be between £600 and £800.

The question is, is it worth it? How complicated will it be to obtain the necessary carte, married to an EU citizen while holding a US passport? I already qualify for the UK State Pension, and therefore presumably health care in France.

Should I go through the expense and hassle of applying for UK nationality? I would appreciate any advice.

I can't answer your question but my instincts say that however much hassle you may have in the UK with bureaucracy, you can triple it in France!  Thus if you have the option to get European citizenship before you move, then my gut says do it.  But I'm British and married to a Brit so this is only guesswork.  I will attempt to find out what your rights are in theory as the married partner of a UK citizen.

Like Cooperlola I am no expert. 

However one thing to consider is what would happen if your partner died  (sorry these are not the sort of scenarios we like to consider). 

You would have a limited amount of cover under what is called accidente de vie, but I believe this only gives you a year or so grace.  After that, I am not sure what your status as a US citizen with no further affiliation to the EU would be.  As a UK citizen your right of abode is more secure, so I would vote for go with it as well.

I was married to an Australian who also had a British passport by virtue of her father being English. She'd been to France and Britain once in her life before we moved there.

So, with her British passport (and mine), we waltzed straight into France and set up home as easy as any other EU citizen would.

The only thing with gaining UK citizenship is that you might have to give up your US citizenship. Check this out. The Americans do not like dual nationality (from your direction).

Frenchhorn, I realise that this is a Texas site but it does imply to me that you need a visa, French spouse or not, although you may be treated favourably, it is not obvious from this. But there are some links and contacts which you may find useful.  I stand by my first posting - getting UK citizenship may well smoothe your path!

http://www.consulfrance-houston.org/spip.php?article1326

Mr Coeur de Lion, your information as to the USA not liking dual nationality is out of date, as this has now been permitted for some years and in fact there are millions of dual national US citizens. In fact giving up US citizenship is extremely difficult and can have adverse tax consequences, if you have appreciable assets.

Your situation was different in that your wife already has a British passport, whereas in this case the US spouse will have to go through the process of applying for UK citizenship through marriage, which is a time consuming process these days. Meanwhile, the US spouse will require a visa to enter France on a long stay basis, which for the last two years has to be obtained prior to departure for France.

In response to the original poster I concur with Cooperlola, in that it will be much easier to go for UK dual nationality, which should be straightforward after the length of time he has lived in the UK, as compared to dealing with French bureacracy in obtaining a French long stay visa, that will have to be periodically renewed and has the uncertainty from a lack of permanence.

Last but not least, the UK passport is very useful for visa free movement to other EU countries, if he decided to move from France or indeed return to the UK, as we know frequently happens!

Ok, it seems to have changed. I looked in the summer for a US citizen friend of mine was looking at claiming Italian citizenship too, but it was frowned upon for her to do so by the US. Seems to have changed according to this site:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

UK citizenship is certainly the way to go then.

I know if I marry here and as soon as I am eligible, I will want US citizenship as I will want the same rights as my wife. For me, it's a no brainer.

Probably, like you years ago, as a US citizen married to a Brit since 1980, I was told by the embassy that although our children could be dual nationals that if I became naturalised here I would lose my US citizenship. This changed many years ago and I became a UK citizen in 2004, which was not as expensive then as you are quoting, but has saved endless hassles in European travel. Go for it! It will ensure your continued rights to live and work anywhere in the EU. Bon chance! 

My sister-in-law has dual British and US nationality, is married to an American and has worked in silicon valley for years. She had a green card long before taking citizenship. I think it was partly because British passports are so blooming expensive to replace abroard!

FairyNuff