In the course of the grand rewiring, I've got to the stage of sourcing

phone sockets. I understand that the standard French outlet for new

installations from 1 Jan 2008 is to be an RJ45 socket.

This is great news as I've long regarded the french inverted 'T' phone

socket to be the 2nd-most useless connection in the known universe.

However, I cannot find the new standard (in any design range) in the

bricos. Any of the Leccy professionals seen them in the trade cataloges

yet?

p

Yep, Scart plugs/sockets,

Designed so that they are sighted on the back of a tv in the very place

where there is a vibration node to ensure it works itself loose, and in

such a position as to be imposible for any human to reach round and

line the thing up straight to put it back in thus necessitating

dragging a 70 lb TV out of a cabinet in order to get a damned satellite

picture.

Basically, only an idiot (or in this case a committee of idiots) 

would design something with such crappy little pins and expect it to

support the weight of a shielded cable without some sort of locking

mechanism.

Rant over.

Now, about the phone plugs........

p

You'd have thought they'd (Peritel committee) have learnt the lesson from DIN plugs so favoured in the 60's and 70's for interconnecting hi-fi (before RCA phonos).   If they were good quality they were OK but most weren't and gave endless trouble.   I still have a LEAK amplifier festooned with the wretched sockets,  and getting a stable stereo image is a nightmare.

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]You'd have thought they'd (Peritel

committee) have learnt the lesson from DIN plugs so favoured in the

60's and 70's for interconnecting hi-fi (before RCA

phonos).   If they were good quality they were OK but most

weren't and gave endless trouble.   I still have a LEAK

amplifier festooned with the wretched sockets,  and getting a

stable stereo image is a nightmare.

[/quote]

Yes, the reason XLRs work so well is the comparatively huge contact

area coupled with the fact that the shell (at least on the professional

versions) locks male into female.

DINs were also a nightmare to try and solder as well. Even 30 years ago

when my hands were a lot less shaky than they are now (early onset

intentional tremor I think!), I usually managed you melt the plastic

base before successfully soldering all of the 5 pins.

p

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]In the course of the grand rewiring, I've got to the stage of sourcing phone sockets. I understand that the standard French outlet for new installations from 1 Jan 2008 is to be an RJ45 socket.

This is great news as I've long regarded the french inverted 'T' phone socket to be the 2nd-most useless connection in the known universe.

However, I cannot find the new standard (in any design range) in the bricos. Any of the Leccy professionals seen them in the trade cataloges yet?

p

[/quote]

Getting back to the OP's question;

Yes they are available from legrand, as part of the Mosaic and Neptune ranges, amongst others. Connections are the "B" standard (IIRC). An 8-pin RJ45 will handle data, 2 telephone lines and TV - all from 1 socket. As you say, so much better than the 'orrid 'phone sockets.

The trouble with having RJ45 as a standard is that if you connect your pc lan card to the phone socket by accident it will not like the 60v when it rings.  RJ11 is fine for phones, and is the standard in many countries.  I appeciate that you can run multiple services through RJ45, and in industrial applications that is fine as sys admins know what they are doing, the average householder however does not.

Regards

Simon

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]Yep, Scart plugs/sockets,

Designed so that they are sighted on the back of a tv in the very place where there is a vibration node to ensure it works itself loose, and in such a position as to be imposible for any human to reach round and line the thing up straight to put it back in thus necessitating dragging a 70 lb TV out of a cabinet in order to get a damned satellite picture.

p

[/quote]

P, why do you want a picture of a setalight?[8-)]

Will this one do??

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/200px-Sputnik_asm.jpg[/IMG]

[Www][blink][kiss]

Nowt rong wiv my smelling or my tryping![8-)]

I have got to agree that the French phone plug/sockets are one of the not so endearing things here. I suppose if you had enough phones plugged into one socket you ccould actually cross the room? Screw up the renn number though peut etra?

I had to install a small IBM mainframe for a French company in Wiltshire some years back and the French guy had spent about 1/2 hour looking fot the socket to plug the modem line into. He wouldn't believe that such a small socket could possibly do the same job as well as the French one he was holding!! That was the first time I had seen the French monstrosity...

[quote user="Simon"]The trouble with having RJ45 as a standard is that if you connect your pc lan card to the phone socket by accident it will not like the 60v when it rings.  RJ11 is fine for phones, and is the standard in many countries.  I appeciate that you can run multiple services through RJ45, and in industrial applications that is fine as sys admins know what they are doing, the average householder however does not.

Regards

Simon

[/quote]

I can imagine that happening quite often. I had someone complaining

that he could not copy TV from his cable tv box here in the UK. He was

pluging an external USB hard drive into the USB socket on the back

which is for the built in cable modem. When I tryed to explain he just

kept saying there was something wrong with the box because it didn't

work.

Hi all, I've read this thread with some amusement at the musings over the SCART socket, I believe the story was that the set manufactures would only include it if it cost them nothing and I think they must have got close.

Back to RG45 as a phone sockets, I've had them put in our new build and judging by the price from Legrand they must have been assembled on the thighs of dusky maidens, E45 EACH I was looking at the power over ethernet specs the other day and the ringing should be separate pins and the 48 volts on another set, and it's only enabled when the providing device senses a POE device on the end...yeh  still I allways liked the smell of ozone and burning plastic

M

[quote user="strebor"]Back to RG45 as a phone sockets, I've had them put in our new build and judging by the price from Legrand they must have been assembled on the thighs of dusky maidens, E45 EACH

[/quote]

I'm glad to see that price fixing and trade protection is alive and well in France. I pay (as a "professional" user) 1/5th of that!

Hah!

• 1 month later...

A phone?[8-)]

No, seriously??? I have got one now and what I was asking before was what went where for the wiring. It is all given in the packaging. All I have to do now is to get an RJ45 to 11 cable so that I can plug the blasted thing in to the phone and the wall. I thought I had one? But did you realise that an RJ11 plug will slot into na RJ45 socket and look as if it were meant to be there. It don't work though!

I think that it's some sneeky Chinese trick to break our comms down. I wonder if I should tell G Bush?[6][8-)]

Oh, nurse, where's me tablitz?

What I was really thinking (but was to tired to type) was if you had a device (like er... a phone) with a RJ45 terminated cable you could do a bit of detective work with a multimeter. but you would have thought of that, of course.

Ever get the feeling this change hasn't been quite thought through properly?

p