Moving to France from US- Some quick questions

Hi ladies and gents, I am planning to move to France in the next year or so, currently I live in Chicago.  I am originally from Bulgaria and I still have my Bulgarian passport, I've lived in the U.S. for ten years now but have not gotten my passport here (been with my green card only).  My question is, since I am originally from a country in the European Union and have my passport from there, do I still need a visa of some sort to work/study/live there?  Would it be easier to move there if I had the US passport? 

I would also like to know what are some good areas to move into for a young 23 year old guy?  I understand Paris is expensive and I would like to avoid it if possible.  I'm looking for a smaller city with more of a young/student population since I plan to go to school.  Please make any suggestions.  Thanks in advance!

Mike BG, with a US passport you have no rights to live and work in the EU, just as an EU citizen has no rights to live and work in the US.

With a US passport you are allowed into France as a visitor for up to ninety days, but prohibited from working. For longer stays you need to apply for a visa.

I would definitely apply for a US passport to avoid any problems in the future in returning to the US. You can still hang on to your Bulgarian passport, as the US allows dual nationality and eventually Bulgaria will be allowed free movement of labour rights within the EU.

[quote user="debbie"]I recommend Toulouse .... Second largest city in France but less expensive and farther South so a nicer climate.[/quote]

So what happened to Lyon, Marseille and Lille?

However, Toulouse should certainly be on anyone's list of potential academic destinations in France. As should Grenoble.

debbie, you should visit France in the winter a bit more, as nowhere in France has a nice winter climate! Other than the Alps maybe if you are into skiing.

The winters in France are generally colder than southern England, which benefits from the Gulf Stream.

I am on the Med and my biggest disappointment has been recent cold, wet and long winters.

[quote user="Braco"]What exactly are you planning to study?[/quote]

- Currently I am getting my associates degree in engineering/science.  I plan to major in computer engineering. 

- If I was to get my US passport, and keep my Bulgarian one, how would the EU see me as an immigrant?  Would I be considered an EU citizen or a US citizen, or would I be able to use all the benefits of both?  

Mike-BG, as I mentioned earlier if you have a US passport and a Bulgarian/EU passport, you are a dual national with the citizenship benefits of both.

Only problem is that despite being part of the EU, Bulgarians are not yet being allowed free movement of labour rights by the French, as they think you will swamp France and take all their jobs! As a result getting a work visa for France as a Bulgarian could be tricky at the moment and it might be better to wait a couple of years until Bulgaria has full movement of labour rights within the EU.

It is important to understand that the EU is not a country like the USA, but a trade federation of different countries who still apply their own laws and control their own borders to non EU nationals and some EU nationals like Bulgarians and Romanians.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Coeur de Lion,

I agree that you should keep as many doors open as possile thus, if you can get your US passport do so. Never hurts to be a duel citizen!

It is true that each state has its own laws in the US, however, the country controls immigration law not the states per se. The rule, in general, is that what is not controled by the federal government, is left to the states to decide. Immigration law is controlled by the federal goverment.

For example, a driver's license is controlled by each individual state. Each state has different rules. If you move from one state to another you may just be able to exchange your old license for the new state. However, in some states, you may need to take a test.

Victor

Thanks Sprogster. Our home is near Colombiers and we have not spent a Winter there yet. However, friends who also live in our area have sent photos the past few years of a fairly heavy snow covering the grounds. Being right by the Canal du Midi I was surprised it would get cold enough for snow to stick like that. I hope to get over to spend a Winter there next year.

As a US citizen also living in California, I know that immigration laws are federally mandated and not state mandated here. You may have heard the scuffle about Arizona attempting to make it's own immigration laws due to problems regarding Mexican immigrants and although it was in place for a few months, the President vetoed it.