Vulgar TV - advice wanted

I want to buy a really big naff TV!  I looked at the LCD and Plasma sets in Carrefour the other day and came out totally confused.  What is best?  LCD or Plasma for a wide screen of 101cm or more?

How important is contrast ratio?  It seems to vary from 1000:1 to 5000:1 or more.

Resolution: Higher numbers must be better - right?  Is this the number of pixels visible?

Patrick

I thought from the title that I could help but having read the text I cant.

I only have a small TV but since switching to Free.fr I have discovered not only vulgar but downright disgusting TV!

Mind you you have to search hard for it, its on channel 99 under the adult section, I've never seen anything quite like it and neither do I want to see most of it again [:-))], so why do I keep accidentally switching to that channel[8-)]

Well Patmobile, I adore my vulgar Plasma TV - fantastic picture and doesn't suffer from any of the "screen burn" everybody warned me about (Pioneer).  I have to say I just looked at all the mags and bought the best one, according to them, at the time, which was within my budget.  The LCDs then just didn't have the picture quality.  But these days, I'm told they're excellent and people who have them swear by them. The LCDs also use a great deal less power and are lighter, which may be a consideration for you.

May influence your decision - previous message is correct - LCDs have come a long way in the last couple of years - we are very pleased with our Sony - and - the important bit for me - they're cheaper to run than plasmas, my dear.

[quote user="Timco"]May influence your decision - previous message is correct - LCDs have come a long way in the last couple of years - we are very pleased with our Sony - and - the important bit for me - they're cheaper to run than plasmas, my dear.[/quote]

But aren't they more expensive like for like than plasma's to buy in the first place?

I have a plasma 42" not hd, but very happy with it.

I was advised that if you  plan to ship or move the plasma TV's that there is more risk of damage than with an LCD.  Just another consideration!  We bought a "vulgar"  LCD and it is wonderful.  Just say "Yes" to vulgar. In fact my OH, who was initially against the idea of big TV, now says we should have gone bigger. Har!

James