[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="cartref"]

Bilbo wrote

I am sure that I read somewhere that one of the features of Vista, unlike previous versions of Windows, was that the OS language could be altered by the user. You can change the ketboard etc. in any version.

Not so Bilbo, previous OS systems like XP etc did have this facility but Vista does not. Also if you order a PC from the UK they will not deliver to France. Something to do with licensing of the MIcrosoft product I believe.

cartref

[/quote]

The reason for the latter will be because the PC manufacturers in the UK get OEM versions of the operating system in English for something like £25 a go and include it in the cost of the PC. The OEM licence is to them to use in the UK. The same would apply in France.

[/quote]

I remember when worked in the computer supply business (though not PC), some of our suppliers tried to put restrictive contracts on us to supply to the UK only.  However, then, under EU law such contracts were illegal and we told them "where to go".  We could do this as we were fortunate in that they wanted us to sell their stuff.  Many companies in the supply chain are in a weaker position with their suppliers and probably accept  whatever contract their supplier offers and just comply.  When it comes to Microsoft I guess the PC manufacturers cannot go and get it from another supplier so I guess they have to either fight it and put up with it.  fighting would probably just result in Microsoft deciding they would not supply anything to that manufacturer - so it would be just cutting off one's own foot" so to speak.

And, it was over 4 years ago since I was involved in teh supply aspect of the business so things may have changed.

Ian

[quote user="tel"]

Hi spg,

The option you had was only to change the way Currencies, Dates and times, keyboard language etc, is displayed on your computer for Non Unicode languages.  Windows XP, Vista etc the language used is in Unicode and in the language of the Country the system was supplied.  So if a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer tells us it can't be done I tend to agree with him.

Regards [/quote]

Ahhh ... I stand - or rather sit - admonished. Being that this was the first time I had ever set up a new computer on my own - in any language - I thought I was being offered a choice of OS language. You live and learn.

Sue [:)]

Hi,

Just for info.  (UK only I am afraid)  If you build or upgrade your own P.C. you can buy an O.E.M. version of the operating system.   The cost differences are worth it.
i.e.  Microsoft Vista Home Premium - O.E.M. £64.61  -- Retail £219.99 (PC World- the last place I would consider buying anything)  I would never recommend using an Upgrade version as it can cause so many problems, clean install only.

The definition of O.E.M software.

OEM Software
When in the context of software it means that the software is sold only with a certain piece of hardware and/or the software manufacturer provides no technical support.

You will also find that OEM software usually doesn't come with a manual (or a box), if it's software you are experienced in using then having no manual won't be a problem, although most OEM software does still come with the built-in help system.

The price difference between OEM software and full retail software can be huge, so if having no box, no manual and no technical support is not a problem then it can be a bargain.

[quote user="tel"]

Hi,

Just for info.  (UK only I am afraid)  If you build or upgrade your own P.C. you can buy an O.E.M. version of the operating system.   The cost differences are worth it.

i.e.  Microsoft Vista Home Premium - O.E.M. £64.61  -- Retail £219.99 (PC World- the last place I would consider buying anything)  I would never recommend using an Upgrade version as it can cause so many problems, clean install only.

The definition of O.E.M software.

OEM Software

When in the context of software it means that the software is sold only with a certain piece of hardware and/or the software manufacturer provides no technical support.

You will also find that OEM software usually doesn't come with a manual (or a box), if it's software you are experienced in using then having no manual won't be a problem, although most OEM software does still come with the built-in help system.

The price difference between OEM software and full retail software can be huge, so if having no box, no manual and no technical support is not a problem then it can be a bargain.

[/quote]

Don't forgot that OEM is also locked to use on the first machine it was installed on, So if you upgrade your motherboard you need to buy another OEM version to be legal. Its part of the OEM EULA that it can only be used on one machine ever (non- transferable)!  Retail versions are expensive but, can be reinstalled on any number of different machines as long as its been removed from the previous machine (its transferable). There is also the support issue, OEM versions are not supported directly by Microsoft other than online help.

IMHO I would go for the OEM version everytime. you could buy 3 OEM versions of home premium for the price of retail (approx. £185 if you shop around)

Not sure if this helps - but I'll put it into the discussion just in case anyone else has a problem similar to the one I had.

A neighbour's computer was hit by lightning - it was running Windows XP (English) - she is an author and could not be without a machine. She was about to pay a visit to the UK and purchased a replacement whilst there.

I rescued the old machine from it's trip to the dechetterie and set about rebuilding it. The motherboard had been fried from, I think, a 'hit' on the phone line. I bought a new motherboard and set about getting it going again.

I've got my own copy of XP bought some time ago, so I put this into the machine - initially just to see if it was going OK. Then, of course, I got into the Microsoft authentication system. I entered the XP numbers from the label that was on the side of the machine - i.e. the OEM copy that had been on the machine when purchased. All went well, but to cut a long story, I ended up having to ring up the Microsoft helpline because their kit had noticed something 'funny' going on. When I got through they asked a couple of questions and when I explained about the rebuild I had no problem. They supplied a re-activation code and the machine's been fine since.

I've since done this a second time, for a friend who somehow managed to blow up his machine - followed the above procedure, and rescued another machine. I suppose I could say I'm keeping servicable equipment from the landfills.

Like another poster I have a fair experience of working with Microsoft and I am a Microsoft partner.

Microsoft supply OEM versions of their software which may only be sold with hardware, theorectically hardware can be defined as a mouse, practically it is easy to buy an OEM version of MS software without the need to buy any hardware at all,

As Timco has said, you can re-register if you go through a couple of hoops, I do it at least once a week on behalf of my customers, more often during the storm season when bits get fried and systems have to be rebuilt with new motherboards or hard disks.

What is technically illegal is to buy an OEM copy of, e.g. XP home and then re-use it when you buy a new computer, but in practice, how can Microsoft stop this happening? When you install XP, an inventory is done of certain parts in the computer, motherboard type, CPU type, hard disk suze and type, whether there is a network card or not. This data in then used to generate the activation code which is used for the registration. Everytime the computer boots, the inventory is checked. If it changes, you may be asked to re-activate.

In practice the MS EULA (End User Licence Agreement) is unenforceable in the EU and I don't think MS has ever tried to prosecute someone for re-using an OEM version of XP on a new computer.

They have made an attempt with Vista to stop it being transferred to a new machine by tightening up on the way the inventory is generated and making the registration process more difficult. I have not had any experience of re-registering Vista yet (and I hope I don't for a long time!).

To make my own position on this clear, I have no qualms if someone comes to me with a 'legal' copy of XP, OEM or not and asks me to re-install it on the computer to which the licence sticker is attached, in any language they want. I have talked to some of my contacts at Microsoft about this and they don't seem to think that there is a problem with me doing it. What I won't do is to install the same copy of XP on another computer UNLESS the orginal is being written off, I know that this is against the terms of the OEM agreement but again, unofficially, MS seem to turn a blind eye to this, in my opinion rightly so!

I have looked at a French computer with Vista installed and the Vista disk that came with the computer was in French only (XP comes with lots of language options). Howver, my customer was able to buy and English version of the Vista disk from Microsoft in the UK for about £25.00 - this was for a 'backup disk' and came without a licence sticker.

Tim

[quote user="Kalyn Computers"]

As Timco has said, you can re-register if you go through a couple of hoops, I do it at least once a week on behalf of my customers, more often during the storm season when bits get fried and systems have to be rebuilt with new motherboards or hard disks.[/quote]

Thats normal isn't it ? If you get a replacement motherboard or even in some cases just updating the BIOS will cause the need to re-activate.

[quote user="Kalyn Computers"]What is technically illegal is to buy an OEM copy of, e.g. XP home and then re-use it when you buy a new computer, but in practice, how can Microsoft stop this happening? When you install XP, an inventory is done of certain parts in the computer, motherboard type, CPU type, hard disk suze and type, whether there is a network card or not. This data in then used to generate the activation code which is used for the registration. Everytime the computer boots, the inventory is checked. If it changes, you may be asked to re-activate.

In practice the MS EULA (End User Licence Agreement) is unenforceable in the EU and I don't think MS has ever tried to prosecute someone for re-using an OEM version of XP on a new computer.[/quote]

They might not enforce it with a fist of iron but, its still against the EULA and its still illegal use of the software. The problem is the rate at which hardware changes makes a 'grey' area. Say for example a motherboard failure, the exact model of motherboard you had is no longer available so straight away your in  the 'grey' area. They can't argue that your upgrading or even if its the same machine so they will issue  you with a re-activation code and just because they have still does not make it legal.