Hi,

Purchased a PC from Auchan yesterday at a super price,  without a screen , just the PC as mine had crashed. However it did not come with the Windows Vista back up disk but we were told that the PC prompted us to back up ourselves. It would have taken 15 disks to do so. Also, the Windows Vista is all in French unlike XP which is universal depending on the country you buy from. There is no apparent way to get the English language on this PC and so I am returning it to Auchan. Has anyone bought a PC from the UK and had it delivered to France? We have looked but found no one who will deliver outside of the UK. Any help gratefully received.

cartref

[quote user="derf"]"so I am returning it to Auchan"

If you manage to get a refund will you let us know?[:D].[/quote]

Alcampo in Spain, which is the same chain as Auchan in France, have/had (no recent knowledge) a 14 day no quibble money back guarantee so it will be interesting to see if this is the case.

[quote user="cartref"]

... Also, the Windows Vista is all in French unlike XP which is universal depending on the country you buy from. There is no apparent way to get the English language on this PC and so I am returning it to Auchan. [/quote]

The operating system is usually installed in the language of the country where the pc is retailed. It's not amendable once installed without a total re-installation. Other software like Office has options for other languages. You will find that XP is just the same; it's not a Vista quirk. When you buy the pc you need to specify English as the operating sytem language and if preferred, a UK keyboard.

You could always obtain an English OS and install it yourself, but it can be a hassle if you're not sure what to do.

As already mentioned, Dell can supply systems with English OS and keyboards but I'm sure you'll find they're dearer than the Auchan special bulk deals.

Sid

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"] I used my old xp disk on it and it works a treat. Why can't you use your old xp os onto any new pc you buy?

[/quote]

Because if your old 'XP' os is an OEM version you will be breaking the contract you made with Microsoft under the EULA.

In short "OEM versions can only be used with the machine they were bought with. In general they class the motherboard as the heart of the machine for this contract."

Service pack2  on XP only allows you to re-load 3 times and it has already been done the 3 times.[:@] However, Auchan will get this new one back tomorrow and we shall see if their no-quibble guarantee works. We have sourced a super reconditioned one (with 12 mth guarantee) from PC world, top spec without monitor (which is what we wanted) but we have to arrange delivery to an address in the UK as they won't deliver to France. Watch this space.[:D]

cartref

[quote user="Onion van man"][quote user="LyndaandRichard"] I used my old xp disk on it and it works a treat. Why can't you use your old xp os onto any new pc you buy?

[/quote]

Because if your old 'XP' os is an OEM version you will be breaking the contract you made with Microsoft under the EULA.

In short "OEM versions can only be used with the machine they were bought with. In general they class the motherboard as the heart of the machine for this contract."

[/quote]

No wonder Bill Gates is rich.

I think a lot of PCs these days come

without setup CDs. When I got my IBM (some time ago now) it had no

set-up CDs and no means to make your own. What quite a few

manufacturers seem to do is to put the "return to factory"

thing n a special hidden part of the hard disk with a magic startup

key sequence to get to it. Thus if your hard disk goes awol you

cannot pop-out to your local PC supplies shop and buy a cheap disk

but have to order a spare part at great expense and long delay from

the manufacturer. I had a big argument with IBM who wanted to charge

me for the "return to factory state" CDs but sent them for

free in the end. However, they don't even have the Windows XP set-up

disks available, just to restore the hard disk to its factory config

(i.e. does the Windows set-up when you "first" switch-on).

Ian

cartref

If you check out the Dell France web-site and find a PC you want at the right price; telephone Dell France and ask for that PC with an English keyboard and English software at no extra cost. Delivery is the same as if you ordered from the website, plus you have the benefit of a European guarantee.

Hope it helps.

Nick

Hi all,

Took French PC back to Auchan this morning and got money credited back to my Visa card with no trouble at all. In fact the guy in Auchan explained that to have a UK pc in France is 'illegal' as France does not have a licence to sell them Pc's apparently now come with language of country of origin on board. Getting one from PC World in the UK and fetching it in 2 weeks. Thank God for friends willing to receive our goods[:D]

Thanks for all replies to my OP,

cartref

HI Les,

Difference was , our PC was NOT a faulty item , merely unsuitable. However, we have had one ore two items from DIY stores that have been faulty and we have been refunded with no problem at all. Perhaps I could be a consumer champion here in France. I may have to hedge my bets here though as we have yet to come across someone who won't refund, but as yet good news all round[:D]

cartref

Bilbo wrote

I am sure that I read somewhere that one of the features of Vista, unlike previous versions of Windows, was that the OS language could be altered by the user. You can change the ketboard etc. in any version.

Not so Bilbo, previous OS systems like XP etc did have this facility but Vista does not. Also if you order a PC from the UK they will not deliver to France. Something to do with licensing of the MIcrosoft product I believe.

cartref

It isn't illegal for you to change your XP or Vista from French to English, you can elect to run your PC with whatever language you like.
Service Pack 2 for XP does NOT limit your to 3 re-installs but re-registering with Microsoft afeter a re-install becomes a little more complicated.

You can buy a new computer in France with XP or  Vista pre-installed in English, there are several  English run computer companies in France - I run one which is fully registered - and we build and sell computers in any language you want.

Tim

Hi Bilbo,

[quote user="Bilbo"]I am sure that I read somewhere that one of the features of Vista, unlike previous versions of Windows, was that the OS language could be altered by the user. You can change the ketboard etc. in any version.
[/quote]

I don't think so, check out this thread:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2/1019953/ShowPost.aspx#1019953

Regards

[quote user="tel"]

Hi Bilbo,

[quote user="Bilbo"]I am sure that I read somewhere that one of the features of Vista, unlike previous versions of Windows, was that the OS language could be altered by the user. You can change the ketboard etc. in any version.
[/quote]

I don't think so, check out this thread:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2/1019953/ShowPost.aspx#1019953 [/quote]

When I bought my new laptop in 2006 here in France and first opened it up on screen I was given the option of choosing the language in which to run XP. I remember hesitating before choosing French - thinking 'help' am I going to be able to manage this? But I was definitely given the choice of language. But you then have to stick with whatever choice you make.

Sue

Hi spg,

The option you had was only to change the way Currencies, Dates and times, keyboard language etc, is displayed on your computer for Non Unicode languages.  Windows XP, Vista etc the language used is in Unicode and in the language of the Country the system was supplied.  So if a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer tells us it can't be done I tend to agree with him.

Regards

[quote user="cartref"]

Bilbo wrote

I am sure that I read somewhere that one of the features of Vista, unlike previous versions of Windows, was that the OS language could be altered by the user. You can change the ketboard etc. in any version.

Not so Bilbo, previous OS systems like XP etc did have this facility but Vista does not. Also if you order a PC from the UK they will not deliver to France. Something to do with licensing of the MIcrosoft product I believe.

cartref

[/quote]

The reason for the latter will be because the PC manufacturers in the UK get OEM versions of the operating system in English for something like £25 a go and include it in the cost of the PC. The OEM licence is to them to use in the UK. The same would apply in France. The only way round it is to buy a copy of the operating system via somebody like Amazon.fr, try typing in Windows Vista English and up they will pop. Vista Home Premium in English will cost about 290 Euros. Click HERE to view the product on Amazon