cheap calls to and from France and the UK

Hello all,

I am based in the UK and my partner is based in France so our telephone charges used to be huge. That was until i found this great little number

To call a French landline from the UK 0911 927 0 927 (then press dial) listen to the mesage then key in the landline number with the dialing code and press * - only 1p per minute

To call a French mobile from the UK 0844 721 4 721 (then press dial) listen to the message then key in the mobile number with the dialing code and press * - only 13p per minute

To call a UK landline from a French landline 0811 65 11 11 (then press dial) listen to the message then key in the landline number with the dialing code and press * - charged at local rate.

We can now chat for hours instead of minutes......

Thanks Savvysarthe, good to know. 

Also think that in the UK, BT and Sky offer free calls to France and a bunch of other European countries.  There is some international plan you need to sign up for and I think they charge 5 bucks a month for the plan, with no charges for the actual calls.

When my OH and I do are in different parts of the world, we talk via Skype for free to each other.  The voice quality is remarkably good (as long as you are not using dial-up). 

not sure if it's practical for you but we also use MSN live... we both have webcams and laptops and we can just leave the line open for hours if we want.  Quite often we'll set up the laptop at dinner time and me and my son will eat dinner with daddy when he's away... sort of virtual dinner guest. [:D] 

[quote user="savvysarthe"]

Hello all,

I am based in the UK and my partner is based in France so our telephone charges used to be huge. That was until i found this great little number

To call a French landline from the UK 0911 927 0 927 (then press dial) listen to the mesage then key in the landline number with the dialing code and press * - only 1p per minute

To call a French mobile from the UK 0844 721 4 721 (then press dial) listen to the message then key in the mobile number with the dialing code and press * - only 13p per minute

[/quote]

Savvysarthe, I do not wish to knock your kind advice, but calling 0911 27 will cost 13pence for connecting just to the service provider and then 1pence per minute for the call to France. The 0844 is far better at 4pence (1pence evening & weekend) for the connection but 13pence per minute to a mobile is far too expensive. If you wish to save far greater sums you may wish to look at this site and then choose any provider in green. This is free service produced by Moneysaving Expert which I use all the time and I hope you find it useful.

http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/france

For mobile charges check the box under the country name.

Baz

[quote user="pale pink specs"]not sure if it's practical for you but we also use MSN live... we both have webcams and laptops and we can just leave the line open for hours if we want.  Quite often we'll set up the laptop at dinner time and me and my son will eat dinner with daddy when he's away... sort of virtual dinner guest. [:D] [/quote]

That sounds soooo sweet, unfortunately we don't have the luxury of internet where we are yet. That's the next move

[quote user="Baz"][quote user="savvysarthe"]

Hello all,

[/quote]

Savvysarthe, I do not wish to knock your kind advice, but calling 0911 27 will cost 13pence for connecting just to the service provider and then 1pence per minute for the call to France. The 0844 is far better at 4pence (1pence evening & weekend) for the connection but 13pence per minute to a mobile is far too expensive. If you wish to save far greater sums you may wish to look at this site and then choose any provider in green. This is free service produced by Moneysaving Expert which I use all the time and I hope you find it useful.

http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/france

For mobile charges check the box under the country name.

Baz

[/quote]

Thanks Baz. I didn't know that. I'll have a look at money saving expert now