Hi

we would like to receive some sort of television service in France, French,English or ideally both but are confused by what we need and whether it is better to buy a tv in France or in the uk.We have an ariel in the house but could an English tv receive french channels on it and in the future can we receive freeview tv channels.thx

Lots of options. If the exisitng TV has an inbuilt digital tuner - i.e. does it get Freeview in the UK? - then, if your house in France is covered by the French version of Freeview (called TNT) then it may get French TV through the aerial. If it's only an analogue set, then on t's own, it will not normally be able to receive French TV unless it's multi-standard and not too many sets in the UK are.You can get set top boxes for this.

It should, however, be able to receive TV from the UK via satellite when connected to a dish pointing to 28.2 east and and suitable satellite receiver.

As I said, lots of options, but you've not said where you will be in France, what set you have - it's age and whether it's a digital ready set, or whether you have satellite TV in the UK.

Come back whenever you like and with a bit more info from you we should be able to help a little more.

Regards - Tim

Hi

(This is where I get shot at)

In fairness to "Will's TV in France" it is a bit out of date now and does not show the advantages of a standard stb over the SLY rip off system, unless of cause you want to pay through the nose, for instance Ricky Hatton fight which thousands will be watching on SLY at only £14.95 ......FTA on RTL or 2 M  National yes FREE no money zilch and I get France 2, 3, 5 ......Free     Sorry did someone say you can get those on sly,  no I thought not, do I get channels 4 & 5 no but I will get 4 from March next year do I miss the channels, well seeing as I watch over 2000 not including any of the shopping or religious  I think not, I also watch Premier Football, Heiniken Cup Rugby and other Sport (Don't ask)

If you can do without Channels 4 & 5 A standard set top box will do the trick about €60/70 at most Brico's and NO monthly charges.

I will get off my soap box now and  go put on my tin helmet....incomeinggggggggggggggggggggg[;-)]

Just to put the other side of the coin. A standard French purchased digital box will be a real pain to set up and need setting up again as channels move transponders and frequencies. The Electronique Programme Guide on a French purchased digital box is very limited versus Sky. I use one to record when programmes overlap and listen to radio but will pick up another Sky Digibox when I am next / if ever back in the UK

Hi Anton

Thanks for your comments, please read the first post, they want English and French TV, Not  Possible with SLY.

I dispute that standard receivers are a real pain to set up, maybe not quite as easy as a SLY box as long as the channel is on the SLY bouquet.

The Sly TV guide is good I have been told, my guide I think is BETTER try www.tvbrowser.org  my one's bigger than your one[:D][:D][:P]

Anton joking aside if you do not care about money and only want to watch sly programmes and have a easy life go for sly, if on the other hand you are on a tight budget then a standard digital receiver is the way, now if you really want to go for the world add a motor and you have over 24 satellites with thousands of channels not including the shopping or religious ones.

It is a bit of swings and roundabouts - I've got a Sky box because I bought it over with me and there are certainly advantages with them - mainly, I suppose,ease of use and the EPG - it can also be quite good for recording from. On the other hand I also have an old Humax digital receiver which I used to use when I was living in Enland and I had this set up with a motorised system I installed myself,and this was great fun.

I also object to forking out to increase Mr. Murdoch's bank balance - so I don't.

The original poster asked about getting UK & French TV and bearing in mind the fact he didn't give us any info about what equipment he may already have, I responded in a general way. If he already has a Sky box in the UK, then it would make perfect sense to bring it with him (although I would advise against trying to set up a dish with it). If not, I agree, a cheap digi box from the Brico is the way to go - unless you're an avid fan of Channel 4 & 5 - although that situation may change, I know.

I also saw the boxing this morning - although not a fan - without paying Mr.Murdoch a penny, and it also gives me a small sense of satifaction - yes, they do say I'm a bit sad[geek]

Tim

Hi Tim

Have you read my post for Martin, maybe people will think I'm a sado too but I'm not, just realistic, I do not think your a sado, why pay murdoch loads of money when its free elsewhere, I also watched the fight although not a big fan a bit like gambleing on the Grand National really, used to be the only bet I had, now I cannot be bothered.

Channel 4 should be FTA from March as well as more 4 and E4? the new BBC set up should be interesting which is what 4 will be on.

I guessed the O/P did not have any equipment and was asking how he could get French and UK TV

Tim have you tried my EPG? its MEGA wow thats a good word I think I will try it again.................MEGA

I think you should retire your Humax and buy a Technomate I will PM you with the reason if you want or you might already know, let me know.

It's funny how us "sado's" (and there are more than just us 2) seem to solve lots of problems on this forum, but thats part of the fun.

Peace to ALL

Hi Fridgeman

Yes, I have read your post - it's another function of my 'sad person-ness' that I am reading all the posts on here at the moment! And, as you probably realise, I agree with just about everything you say. Not sure about getting rid of the Humax though - over the years I've found it's been a very useful piece of kit when setting up a dish. I've read lots of messages about how good the Technomates are and it will probably appear on my wish list - when finances allow.

The dates for Channel 4 going FTA seem to vary depending on where you get your info from - lots seem to think it won't be until next autumn, but, as they say, time will tell. I know they've given a strong indication that they want to be part of the Freesat system which is scheduled to kick off in the next few months.

I do find it rewarding to help with the questions on here as they pop up, although my wife thinks I should start charging a fee for all the time I spend formulating what I hope is a helpful reply.

I might be tempted to get a Freesat box as I do have an HD capable TV - but it's not a priority.

Finally, I've not yet gone to your EPG list - but will give it a try.

By the way - are you TNT ready? TF1 showed a Tarantino film last night with French and English soundtracks. I think they've done this a few times recently, but it's the first time I've caught one.

Regards - Tim

Hi Tim

Yes I am HD ready only because the crt telly was playing up and I picked up a 26" lcd for only £249 a bargain but the way it was setup was awful, the booklet was less than useless

got on the net and a really helpful aussie site soon sorted how to set it up, as much as I have Freeview/TNT we are not yet living full-time in France depending on what happens tomorrow (wish me luck) we should be on our way in January at long, long last.

Like yourself I find it very rewarding to be able to assist others that do not have my knowledge also I do not feel so bad when I need an answer to a question when I do not have the knowledge.

Peace to all