AMERICANS WANTING TO MOVE TO FRANCE: UPDATE

Finally my husband and I received our Carte de Resident for ten years!!!!!!!!!! We filed our renewal papers with the Marie and sent a copy of our required letter stating why we wanted to have the ten year Carte to the Prefecture just in case.

After about three months, we received a convocation to go to the Prefecture where we were individually interviewed. The interview was conducted entirely in French and included knowledge of our spoken and written French, knowledge of French law and history.

Victor

victor, just for the benefit of other US readers, the system has changed since you moved to France, in that new non EU applicants now have to apply for a long stay visa before their arrival in France, from their countries French Embassy/Consul. As the Prefecture are no longer permitted to deal with initial applicants. Also these long stay visas prohibit employment, as it has become effectively impossible for US Citizens to work in the EU, unless it is an inter company transfer, or you are taking a job that an EU citizen cannot fill. (It is just as tough the other way around for those EU citizens looking to move to the US).

Your renewal interview seems fairly tough and it makes you wonder what would have happened if you were not fluent in spoken and written French, as I am not sure many US long stay residents, or Brits for that matter, could meet that test!

I think as one country makes things harder for another, the other replies in like, meaning that the average person suffers while those in charge carry on not giving a toss.

Oh I long for a world that had freedom of residence and work.

And you'd imagine it would be a piece of cake moving from the US to France and vice versa, after all they have the special relationship...

A major problem is that the rules keep changing and one must "somehow" always stay alert to this problem.

I guess the next step is to have both or one of us apply for citzenship. Unfortunately, both our sets of parents are long dead and my mother came from a place where she had no birth certificate on record.

However, France is our dream and remains so. I know it must seem quite strange to those who believe that the U.S. is golden.

Victor

[quote user="victor"]A major problem is that the rules keep changing and one must "somehow" always stay alert to this problem.

I guess the next step is to have both or one of us apply for citzenship. Unfortunately, both our sets of parents are long dead and my mother came from a place where she had no birth certificate on record.

However, France is our dream and remains so. I know it must seem quite strange to those who believe that the U.S. is golden.

Victor[/quote]

The grass is always greener...

I've lived in 4 countries now (the US being the latest for me), but each has it's pros and cons. Australia remains my favourite country to live in, but I think the US will end up surpassing that for me. I also think I moved to France too young (I was 34, am 39 now).

Hey Victor, you want a Euro passport, I want a US one, fancy doing a swap??? ;)

"JUST CURIOUS but why would you choose the US over France?

I cannot imagine ever leaving France. When I drawup a list of pros and cons, France always wins.

Victor

"

Spot on Pickles, I think Mr C de L has a very special interest in a certain person in the U.S.A. at present.[;-)]

This is true, but since the split with my ex, my plan was to leave France within 5 years anyway.

France is great, but where I was living, it was not the best place for a single, middle aged person like me.

Had my new love not arrived on the scene, I was looking at returning to Australia.

Like I said earlier, each has its pros and cons and for me at my stage in life, France has more cons than pros.

[quote user="victor"]Finally my husband and I received our Carte de Resident for ten years!!!!!!!!!! We filed our renewal papers with the Marie and sent a copy of our required letter stating why we wanted to have the ten year Carte to the Prefecture just in case. After about three months, we received a convocation to go to the Prefecture where we were individually interviewed. The interview was conducted entirely in French and included knowledge of our spoken and written French, knowledge of French law and history. Victor[/quote]

Congratulations Victor well done! I am one of those referred to that couldn't pass [:$] so lots of admiration from me.

Out of interest whereabouts in America are you moving from and whereabouts in France are you moving to?

Victor, you are comparing France with the USA as a retiree, not as someone like Coeur de Lion, who still has his working life ahead of him.

As many other posters have said before, France is a great place to retire or go on vacation, but not to find work, or make money!

WJT wrote: "Congratulations Victor well done! I am one of those referred to that couldn't pass so lots of admiration from me."

I am so sorry that you did not pass. I am sure that next year when you renew your Carte, you will be able to pass with flying colors!

WJT: "Out of interest whereabouts in America are you moving from and whereabouts in France are you moving to?"

We moved here in 2001 from Washington, DC (a couple weeks prior to 9/11) and had been making plans for about eight years prior to our move including having our son attend a French lycee in DC. We also visited France about three times a year and sent our son to camps in France each summer. (Look at my post dated 8/8/2009)

Believe me, even as prepared as I thought we were, we have made mistakes. A major mistake was moving to Sete and then to Poussan.

I hate this village: for example, getting any permissions to make changes to your land depends on the whim of the mayor. Not a fun situation. We have been fortunate, however, to have found many friends here in the South, both in Sete and Poussan.

Where are you from and where are you located now. If there is anything I can do to help you, please let me know.

Victor

Sprogster,

Your point is right on. There is a great difference between being retired and working. Even if I wanted to continue my profession here, I am, by law, forbidden from doing so.

Instead, I started searching out people who wanted to learn English (I was a professor of English prior to becoming an attorney) in exchange for helping me with French. I made many friends that way.

No question, finding work in France is difficult at best, but from everything I know, it is also almost impossible now in the States. I have to say that I would not want to be in a position where I needed to find a paying job. I am very concerned for the young people in Europe and the States. I fear things will only get worse for them unless they are well connected or from rich families.

Victor

[quote user="victor"]Sprogster,

Your point is right on. There is a great difference between being retired and working. Even if I wanted to continue my profession here, I am, by law, forbidden from doing so.

Instead, I started searching out people who wanted to learn English (I was a professor of English prior to becoming an attorney) in exchange for helping me with French. I made many friends that way.

No question, finding work in France is difficult at best, but from everything I know, it is also almost impossible now in the States. I have to say that I would not want to be in a position where I needed to find a paying job. I am very concerned for the young people in Europe and the States. I fear things will only get worse for them unless they are well connected or from rich families.

Victor[/quote]

Or in healthcare.

Victor, sorry I should have made myself more clear, I don't need to apply for a Carte de Resident. I was commenting on the fact that if I had to go through such an interview, I'm sure I would fail as someone suggested there would be a few of us here that would.[:$] Having said that, I may be able to pass if it was full of building terminology.[:D]

I asked where you were in America and where you ended up in France because there are such vast differences. It could have been from New York to the Limousin or from Mississippi to Paris. I am not familiar with your area in France but what you describe about the Marie sounds like it could be anywhere. [:)].

We currently live in the UK but we have a home in Dordogne which is South(ish)West France that we hope to move to permanently one day. Sadly that day is looking a little further away as of late.

I hope one day I would be able to pass such an interview. Well done again.

Victor: I can certainly attest to that as my step duaghter has been out of work for 14 months and has been willing to do the most menial job like clerking at a mini-mart although she has her bachelors degree in graphic arts (here in California). I appreciate your comment which sounds like you believe that retiring to France is better than tyring to live & work there. We have about 8 years to go before retirement and that seems like such a long ways away but I have heard repeatedly that work in France is difficult to come by so I'll sit back and wait and just visit when I can. :0(

victor, I know the USA very well and I cannot see that most Americans culturally would accept the French level of government control, interference and bureaucracy that pervades everday life, especially where business is concerned. For example, can you imagine the US Federal government introducing laws that restrict when and for how long shops can run sales for!

It is therefore much easier and cheaper to establish and run your own business in the US, if you are so minded.

This reflects through in employment, as although US unemployment is comparatively high at the moment, it is still less than France, where youth unemployment for those under 25 currently averages 25%. When the US economy turns around, which it will, as in the past jobs will be rapidly created, unlike France where the very high social security costs and difficulties in laying off staff, dissuade employers from creating jobs and unemployment therefore remains high even in better economic times.

Victor, I wanted to post a response to your comment on the other thread that because of the French/USA double tax treaty, whilst you have to file tax returns in both countries, you only pay US tax on non French income. I don't believe that is correct, as if your calculated French worldwide income tax liability is greater, you have to pay French tax on the balance over and above what is offset by the US tax credit.

Also despite the double tax treaty US citizens are still exposed to French capital taxes, with Estate/Gift Tax being a particular worry, as this tax threshold in the States is so much higher than France

Sprogster: That is correct. We live in the US and own a vacation home in France. We do pay taxes in both countries but we are able to claim the French tax as a liability and a write-off towards our US taxes. We must always file our US taxes late because we await the amount we owe in French taxes for our US tax calculation.

I'm living in the US and am renting my house out in France (for about €350 a month, so pretty much bugger all), but am only in the US as a student (which means I'm not even entitled to a social security number).

That is my only income. In fact, the amount that goes into my pocket after foncier, insurance and other expenses will mean I will probably end up with less than €3k a year.

This would surely be in a tax free threshold?

• 1 year later...

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]I'm living in the US and am renting my house out in France (for about €350 a month, so pretty much bugger all), but am only in the US as a student (which means I'm not even entitled to a social security number). That is my only income. In fact, the amount that goes into my pocket after foncier, insurance and other expenses will mean I will probably end up with less than €3k a year. This would surely be in a tax free threshold?[/quote]

So you are a kept man then [:D]