TNT help please

I decided to upgrade myself and bought the box for terrestrial and not sat. Plgged in to the old Ariel and Im only getting TF1, TMC NRJ and 2 encrypted channels. So I went out and bought a new ariel as the old one looks as though it came from 18C rewired and am now getting nothing. I should mention that the old signal for normal TV is not good.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong.

Cheers

Well it's almost certainly an antenna problem. You don't say in your post, nor on your login, where you are so I can't look up the TNT coverage in your area, but if you were getting some channels I'm guessing that there is some sort of TNT coverage for your area. One thing though, before you clamber up to the aerial, have you 're-scanned' the channels since installing the replacement aerial? If the old aerial wasn't able to get all the available channels but your new one is, you need to make sure the digi box has the chance to tune them in. Try this first, if you haven't done so already.

Tim

Everything I have read about TNT and UK Freeview suggest aerial aligment is far more critical than analogue. Also you are more likely to need a powered amplifier at the mast head. Things may improve when the analogue signal is switched off.

If the TNT signal is comming from the same transmission mast as the analogue signal I would try fine tuning the antenna position using an analogue TV then trying a rescan with the digital tuner.

You do really need pretty excellent analogue pics (ie no shadows, no snow) if there is to be much hope for TNT reception at the current in-use powers.

The aerial should be pointing at Mont St Baudille (near St Guilhem le Desert).    The rods should be horizontal with the shortest rods nearest the tx.   (I take it we're talking a roof Yagi aerial here).

As I say,  you need to get the analogues right before trying the TNT box.

The analogues should be on chs 50/53/56 for the main three,   with 5 & 6 on chs 48 and 40.   Make sure these last two are peaked up as much as possible as they are the weaker channels and will need to be good too if TNT is to work.

There's just a chance from what you've written that your current aerial is pointing at Marseille Grande Etoile.   In which case your analogues will be on 23/26/29.    If this is the case then it would explain why you're only getting the MUX with TF1 etc on it;   sadly the web predictor says you won't get the other MUX's from this tx.   It does suggest that reception of the other mUX's requires you to move to Mt St Baudille;   however it may be that Grande Etoile was chosen at your site for analogues because you're screened from Mt St Baudille.

In which case you may be stuffed until analogue switch off and the increase in erps (effective radiated powers) on the digital transmissions.

An Update,

After some prodding from the missus I got on the roof and moved the new antenna. It was pointing in the same direction as the old one,  in the direction of ST Guillem le Desert, its now pointing more east than north east and I have most ofthe other free channels,b but not F2 F3 Arte or M6 ,which seems a bit strange...

Well now I am puzzled because I had you on the outskirts of Montpellier in which case St Baudille is north west of you.    If you're now pointing eastish then maybe Marseille is doing the business.

Either way,   it sounds as though you're getting closer!