NE 1 with a DVD Recorder and TF1???

Hi - this is a very sad request I know but my wife and I just love the French 'Deal or No Deal'  'A PRENDRE OU A LAISSER' . Unfortunately although we get some French Channels here in Germany we are unable to recieve TF1.

Is there any kind person out there willing to record on DVD the next series (not sure when it starts) and post it to us??  We would of course pay for the blank discs and postage and any other expense.

I told you we were sad but never mind!!

Dale

Obviously I don't know your individual circumstances,   but in most cases it isn't difficult to get TF1 in Germany.

Even if you're in a flat,  as long as you've a big south (with a touch of west preferably) facing window you could open it at the right time and point a dish through it aimed at Atlantic Bird 3,  connected to an analogue sat receiver,  and thence to a SECAM compatible TV.    You did after all say you were "sad"!    A cheap floor mount and a bit of practice is all you need.   I know of a serious satellite scene monitor (who is well respected for keeping Lyngsat up to date) who does just this - he swings a dish around on a tiny balcony in Paris.

That's the worse case scenario;  if you have a small garden it gets a lot easier.

Why analogue I hear you cry?    Because it's cheap,  free to air,  and will go on at least until 2010 which is probably more than can be said for Arthur and A Prendre.

Better still,   go over to France and buy a TNT par sat box (I don't think they're asking for a French address);   using Astra 1 this gives you access to 18 free channels (free to view,  you get the card and the box for €129).

Still,  maybe someone will respond to your original request!

Good luck either way.

Oh dear seems like we are going to be even more 'sad' now as no one seems to want to help us watch dear old Arthur!  Understandable of course as a bit of an impostition we know!

Thanks Martin for your suggestions. We are I have to say not technical at all so all this about getting other dishes and sticking them out at the right time etc is I think way beyond us!

However let me try and press a few buttons and see what sat box we have and maybe you can tell us whats possible?.......

Ok it is a 'TechiSat Digit MF4-S box and it also says "Digital Value Broadcasting, woteva that means!

Now I will press 'Settings'..... hmm Antenna configuration? System Configuration? Service Settings - oh dear which one - Martin or someone else please help!!!?

Dale

Well it's a digital box if it says DVB (digital video broadcasting).   As far as I can see it's a sat box too!!

It would be useful to find out which sat it's pointing at;   an awful lot of dishes point at Astra 1 in Germany and this is the same sat that transmits TNT par sat,  so if this is the case and if you went and got a TNT par Sat box from France and substituted it for your present box you could enjoy all the other delights of TF1 etc.

So how do we tell what your present dish points at?    Probably one for tomorrow when I'm properly awake,  but if in the channel list there are lots of Dutch channels (Ned 1 2 3,  RTL 4 and 5 for example) and no Swiss channels then it's likely to be Astra 1.   Can you see lots of Premiere channels in the list (even if they don't clear and give a picture?).   Any Spanish channels (Taquillas?)

Let's talk tomorrow.

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

It doesn't really matter because the programme has been cancelled.......

http://www.purepeople.com/2501-Arthur-range-ses-boites-.html

[/quote]

AH NON!!!!   We are distraught! Have you seen that Wheel of Fortune Game its rubbish?! With that silly woman, she is certainly no Carol Smiley and whats the thing with the dog?  As for Millionaire well that smarmy Jean-Pierre is no match for wonderful Arthur!

Off now to get a petition going................

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]Well it's a digital box if it says DVB (digital video broadcasting).   As far as I can see it's a sat box too!!

It would be useful to find out which sat it's pointing at;   an awful lot of dishes point at Astra 1 in Germany and this is the same sat that transmits TNT par sat,  so if this is the case and if you went and got a TNT par Sat box from France and substituted it for your present box you could enjoy all the other delights of TF1 etc.

So how do we tell what your present dish points at?    Probably one for tomorrow when I'm properly awake,  but if in the channel list there are lots of Dutch channels (Ned 1 2 3,  RTL 4 and 5 for example) and no Swiss channels then it's likely to be Astra 1.   Can you see lots of Premiere channels in the list (even if they don't clear and give a picture?).   Any Spanish channels (Taquillas?)

Let's talk tomorrow.
[/quote]

Hmm well no Ned  1 2 3 or RTL apart from RTL Shop. No Taquilla but we have Aragon TV, Cubavision, Euskadi TV, TV Canaria, Galicia, TVEi etc. As for Swiss we have ProSieben Schwiez , Sat.1 CH, Kabel 1 Schwiez. However we also have lots of Premiere channels! We can only watch programms in the list which have 19.2 E next to them not the ones with 13.0E which is a pain as BBC Prime is there. We are getting slowly fed up with Skynews with all the 'News in 15 mins every 15mins'

Not sure what this means - over to you!

Dale

Well what it means is that if anything other than Arthur (!) appeals to you on French TV then your best best would be to shell out €129 for a TNT par Sat box (only available within France - at least officially) and you would then be able to access 18 free to view French channels (including TF1) via your existing dish.

Neat eh?  (it's the 19.2 E that's the giveaway).

Incidentally you need a sub for BBC Prime (it was part of the TPS package,  I'm not sure what the current situation is but seem to remember that Canalsat dropped it last year,  could be wrong about that).   For the rest of the BBC (ie domestic) you need a dish on 28.2 deg E,  but your current receiver would be fine for that if you could get the dish sorted.

All I meant about opening the window at the right time is that sat signals of this sort don't go through glass (some special glass is transparent to 11 GHz but most isn't) but I know that people desperate to watch things have gone to elaborate and successful lengths to watch,  even in a flat!

Laters - sorry bjsliv - you beat me to it!!

Thanks Guys.

Still have a few questions if I may?

If we get the box from France, can we still have our German one working at the same time? My OH says something about 'piggybacks' and 'scarts' or something??  You mention a 'card' with the French box does that come with the box or do we get that somewhere else?

Why does our channel list still have the '13.0' channels listed?  Presume by what you are saying that we can't access these at all?

Dale

Possibly.   If you can get at your dish easily I'd get a twin output LNB (which is two LNB's in one) and use two cables down - one to each box.   That is what you need to do if you actually want to be able to watch/record from BOTH boxes at the SAME time.  

If you will only want to watch one at a time (and don't need to record from the other simultaneously) then you can use your existing LNB and cable,   just plug the cable into which ever box you need.    Better still you can buy a little switch that allows you to flip/flop the dish between boxes (but only one box connected at a time).    I'd start that way and see how often there was a "clash" when you wanted both boxes on together.

If your TV has two SCART inputs then a scart lead to each box will do the trick.   Otherwise a selector box for about €20 in a grande surface will do it.   Or manual plugging unplugging but SCART plugs are fairly fragile and it's not a good idea to plug in and out too often.

The card necessary to decode the TNT par Sat channels is included in the box and price.    Lasts for four years and will be replaced at that time for a nominal fee.

The 13 deg channels were probably loaded into the box at the factory as part of the preset up process.   If you wanted these channels (or at least the free to air ones) you'd need a dish on Hotbird 13 deg E.    You can achieve that on one dish with a "monobloc" (which is two LNB's in one,   but with each one orientated differently so that the dish works on both satellites),   but a monobloc is different to a twin output LNB! 

Laters:  there is something called "IF daisychaining" sat receivers so that two can use one LNB for two boxes,  however it has limited functionality as you can only use both at once if both the polarisation AND the hi/lo band required are identical for the two programmes you choose at any one time;   if any of the mentioned parameters are different the "nearer" box cedes to the "further" and produces a blank screen.    It has its uses but probably not viable in your case.