Livebox software

I have had interesting time [:(] reading about all the problems people have with the orange livebox, which is worrying me slightly as mine will arrive later this week !.
Although, I did also read a post somewhere (can't find it again) that said one should not install the software that comes with the box or suggested just a partial install and there should be little or no problems.
Is this correct ? if so what should one do with windows XP ? and I need it to be wi-fi at the moment everything is in different rooms.

thanks
Paul

Hi Paul

You should follow the standard install up until the point at which it asks you to install the 'gestionaire internet' (this comes after various instructions as to what to insert where!) it's basically a front end to your internet connection and it has a tendancy to be a bit flaky.    If you do install it (by accident) you can always uninstall it after the event, I did this for someone with no lasting issues.

I use the livebox  WIFI with XP and have very few problems so don't panic! 

Panda

I'll go along with Panda. It's not needed and is a pain in the butt!

Also if you want to use your laptop as well as a tower and don't want to use wifi you can change the 2nd ethernet socket from TV to a straight ethernet port and plug a second PC in to it! If you are interested then let me know and I will give you the gen. That's the setup I have, I think it is more secure.

Now that the livebox has been around for a few years I think that the problems have been sorted and it seems to be quite stable. I had problems with ours just after getting it 2 1/2 years back. I took it back to FT and they changed it for the one we have now. Problem free since then.

Sorry to disagree but the easiest way is NOT to start with the USB connection! To use the USB connection you have to instll the software and that is what can cause problems.

The easiest way is to start with the Ethernet connect which needs no software. Simply connect the cable - it usually has RED plugs at either end, to your computer and the Livebox and then access the built is browser page to do the setup. You do this from Internet Explorer by typing into the address bar: 192.168.1.1, this will bring up the setup page, you may need a user name and password depending on the age of the Livebox (you may get a new style of an old style one) the default user name is admin and the passwod is admin. From there is it pretty self explanatory.

HTH

Tim

[quote user="Kalyn Computers"]Sorry to disagree but the easiest way is NOT to start with the USB connection! To use the USB connection you have to instll the software and that is what can cause problems.

The easiest way is to start with the Ethernet connect which needs no software. Simply connect the cable - it usually has RED plugs at either end, to your computer and the Livebox and then access the built is browser page to do the setup. You do this from Internet Explorer by typing into the address bar: 192.168.1.1, this will bring up the setup page, you may need a user name and password depending on the age of the Livebox (you may get a new style of an old style one) the default user name is admin and the passwod is admin. From there is it pretty self explanatory.

HTH

Tim
[/quote]

Who mentioned USB, I do agree about starting off using the ethernet cable.

[quote user="Kalyn Computers"]Sorry to disagree but the easiest way is NOT to start with the USB connection! To use the USB connection you have to instll the software and that is what can cause problems.

HTH

Tim
[/quote]

Despite your user name Tim I think you are not quite with us on this [Www], no one has mentioned  a USB connection (except you ) and at no point do you need to load the orange software for any type of connection, it's just a cheesy front end that is just not required, it has nothing to do with set up.

There is also no difference between starting ethernet or WIFI, with one you use the cable (as you described) with the other your laptop will connect to the livebox wifi as one would expect both work out of the box, either way you can log in to the livebox.

Hi Panda

Sorry about the confusion re the USB connection - the same question was asked elsewhere, and mentioned the USB connection, and I simply copied the answer I wrote there to here!

However, without wishing to start an argument but being slightly pedantic - you DO need the Orange software to use the USB connection - which obviously counts as ANY connection. Unless there us a very good reason to, I would never use the USB connection on a Livebox - it uses lots of system resources and is nowhere near as reliable as a LAN (ethernet) connection.

Tim