Netgear router.

I have just been given a Netgear DG834G.v3. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use this box in place of the livebox I have?

At the moment I only have the livebox connected to my tower PC and my laptop via ethernet cables. We have just decided to get the phone option as well and I am wondering if it will be possible to connect the two PCs and the phone and use it in the same way as the livebox?

Hi,

I believe the Netgear DG834G.v3 is an ADSL2+ router and normally used with unbundled LLU broadband. (In the UK suppliers who have their own equipment in the BT exchange) I don't know the arrangement in France.  Not sure if it is compatible with your ADSL supplier, or if it is backward compatible, with standard ADSL.

Regards

Definitive answer!

YES - the DG834 will work in place of the Livebox UNLESS you normally plug your 'voice' telephone into the Livebox - i.e. your normal telephone to make calls.

In my humble opinion the Netgear 834 is one of the best routers on themarket - I have sold literally hundreds - I replaced 2 Liveboxes tody with 834's - typical after a thunderstorm which we had last night.

HTH

Tim

I'd agree - never had a Livebox so I can't directly compare, but I've been using a Netgear model for the last 18 months without a single hicough (touching wood now). I read reports from other ADSL users of all sorts of issues, not just with Liveboxes I should add, that I did wonder what I was getting into - people going on about constant re-booting, others saying that you must never turn your modem off etc.etc. With the Netgear I've never experienced any of these issues. It gets turned on and off when I need it and was very easy to set up. When I expannded my network earlier this year with a laptop, the wi-fi set up was simple as well.

I suppose I should put in a little word to F.T. for providing a decent line as well[:)]

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to replace my Orange A box with an old BT Voyager 2100 modem router I brought across from the UK. 

The A box has worked okay for the last year running a couple of laptops on wireless but lacks outputs on the router side, only one usable one. The wireless side is a little bit hit and miss too, I just brought a wireless enabled printer and want to get that working, it refuses to talk to the A box but will connect to the Voyager in wireless mode.

The Voyager worked well in the UK connected to BT but I am having great problems in trying to reset it to connect it in place of my A box.

In the UK you used your user name and a password to sign onto the ISP, I cannot seem to decipher how to do this over here, every attempt and combination so far has failed. I originally installed the A box using the supplied disc from an old wired PC which is just a stand by machine.

Any assistance or ideas would be most helpful, my French isn't too great so reading menu's is a bit difficult at times.

More2learn.

Can a router like this be used in conjunction with the livebox? I ask this because when I was on hols at a gite in Chamonix a couple of weeks ago, I was using a wireless internet connection. I assumed this was part of the gite and happily used it all week. It wasn't until late in the week that I went onto the orange website to check emails that I found a completly different account staring me in the face. Looks like I piggybacked someones internet for that week.

Anyway, when I looked at wireless connections available, there were to, one livebox (secured) and one router, unsecured (the way I got connected). I am therefore assuming that these people have  livebox, but also another router connected, presumably to give extra network coverage because the livebox is so crap at that. Would this be a reasonable assumption?

I wish I had taken note of their emaill addy too when I was on the orange webmail page, to send them a message thanking them for the use of their internet for the week and suggest to them that they might like to make their connection secure....

[quote user="More2Learn"]

In the UK you used your user name and a password to sign onto the ISP, I cannot seem to decipher how to do this over here, every attempt and combination so far has failed. I originally installed the A box using the supplied disc from an old wired PC which is just a stand by machine.

Any assistance or ideas would be most helpful, my French isn't too great so reading menu's is a bit difficult at times.

More2learn.

[/quote]

The user name you need to enter in order to connect the router is the identifiant supplied by Orange/Wanadoo when you signed up with them. It starts with fti/ .The password is the mot de passe de connexion supplied at the same time. Note that these are not the user name and password which relate to your email address.

That worked for me in connecting my Netgear router. I hope it works for you.

[quote user="More2Learn"]I have been trying to replace my Orange A box with an old BT Voyager 2100 modem router I brought across from the UK.[/quote]First the bad news: If your BT 2100 was supplied as part of a BT package then it is almost certainly "locked" to BT and can't be used with any other ISP.

The good news: There is a workaround by way of an unofficial BIOS update which you can get from HERE.

I have a BT 2091 which I brought from UK which is essentially the same beast. Allegedly the 2100 was a similar but unlocked retail version of the 2091 but was also supplied by BT in locked guise. When my Teleconnect router got zapped by lightning a couple of months ago I resurrected and updated it to use whilst I was waiting for the replacement to arrive. No VOIP of course but at least I was online.

NOTE: There is always a risk with BIOS updates, official or otherwise, but considering as it stands it's as much use as a one legged man in a bum kicking contest there doesn't seem much to be lost by having a go [:D]