In another thread ErnieY recently said that in order to watch this in France "You need to work through a Proxy server in UK". Has anyone suceeded in doing this please and if so which proxy did you use.

When I get into the iplayer page and select a program, I get the message "To play this program you need to enable JavaScript" It is enabled!!

Any helpful suggestions please?

A couple of weeks ago I went into BBC Listen Again, which uses the I-Player, from a Mac using the Safari browser through a Darty Box. No special tweaks with proxy servers or suchlike. I don't know if the problem lies with protection on the TV content, rather than radio, or if changing browser may help.

The Mac was originally bought & set up in the UK but the ISP is French.

In principle I'd say no difference because a streamed programme is actually partially downloaded to a buffer before being played. This is why a programme takes a few seconds to start -- you can see the progress of this in MS Media Player. (Sorry, Dick, I'm sure Mac software has a similar feature). The real difference is that with streamed programmes the buffer is temporary (possibly only in memory rather than on disk) and is emptied either when you close the player or when you start playing a different clip.

In programming (either meaning!) terms there are probably big differences to accommodate the two sets of requirements.

Then there are the copyright issues.

Albert is correct however, in the context of the iPlayer it's not quite as straightforward.

This is an extract from the Terms & Conditions

"So that you can download BBC Content the BBC has provided you with the Download Manager.

1. When you install the Download Manager you will also install peer-to-peer file sharing software from Verisign Inc. This software has a file share feature that enables other BBC iPlayer users to download BBC Content through your personal computer (using part of your upload bandwidth), via a secure link, to their personal computers. Other BBC iPlayer users and the BBC will not have the ability to access any files on your computer other than those relating to BBC iPlayer Content. The peer-to-peer functionality is automatically turned on as a default setting. You can change your settings so that the peer-to-peer functionality does not share files automatically when your computer boots up or when you close the BBC iPlayer Download Manager. Please go to the BBC iPlayer FAQ section for further information about how peer-to-peer sharing works and how to change your peer-to-peer file sharing options."

Thanks for the replies. I'm using IE7, I have Java and cookies enabled and have the latest version of flash player. I'm using Proxify as a proxy.

I still don't get a play button (for streaming) or a download button (for the download manager) and it still says I need to enable Java!

Am I wasting my time or has anyone else successfully used iplayer in France?

Graham,

two possible problems.

1 Proxify is (i believe) a US proxy even if you locate it through proxify.co.uk. If this is the case, the BBC will reject the address as not being from the UK.

2 In the proxy settings,  you must allow scripts. This allows javascript to run. Try with this setting. if it still does not work, try to find a definite UK proxy.

I tried having a search for a uk proxy but every one I used was refused by the bbc iplayer site as not available outside the UK!

Maybe erniey has a recommendation for a proxy.

Danny