Which digibox?

Has anyone any idea what is now considered to be the best digibox to buy to use in France?  I have been using a Panasonic TU-DSB30 up to now which in it's day was considered the best. This is now on its way out and unless anyone knows better I'll probably buy the same again.  Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks - Andy

You may like to look at this link:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=708961 and similar ones on the same site.

The Panasonics were indeed excellent in their day (I still have one in our English house), but the one to get now seems to be the Pace 2600CI. Sorry, but the 'experts' say the newer ones have a less sensitive tuner - as does the Pace DS430N which looks identical but has inferior circuitry. We have a 2600CI in France, I have swapped between that and the Panasonic, comparing the signal strength/quality (not a particularly scientific test, I know). In reality they were both pretty close, and both significantly better than the Grundig and Thomson receivers we have used before.

The 2600CI can be bought on ebay - it isn't made any more, and was only made for a fairly short time, so it carries a bit of a price premium(and also the DS430N has been known to be re-badged as a 2600CI by unscrupulous sellers). Nevertheless I think that for ours I paid less than a quarter, including postage, of the 300€ quoted above.

Edit - the Pace 1000 mini-box is also very good, and reportedly has the same very sensitive tuner, but this one carries an even bigger price premium as it will run off 12V for use in caravans etc.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="ErnieY"]HOW MUCH [:'(] [:-))][/quote]

Is that a question or have you just fainted?!?[:P]

[/quote]

As ErnieY hasn't come back I think he must have fainted. [:)]

We paid £119.00 last August including delivery to a UK address with Parcelforce 24 service (we were visiting anyway) but I'm sure they would have delivered to France if asked.

Why do companies have to be so greedy when supplying Brits abroad. If they didn't do this then they'd probably attract people like ourselves to save sourcing stuff in the UK.

Thanks everyone, great response.  I'll target a Pace on Ebay, I go back next week so can bring it back with me. 

Good point about the gred of companies over here, half the price and get 4 times the trade, there's a concept!!

Cheers Andy

I've gone with the consensus and bought a Pace 2600CI, I paid £43 for an "as new" one from a dealer on Ebay.  I go back to UK this week so will report back.

Just worth mentioning, my Panasonic took a turn for the worse last night so I took the cover off and it was fairly dusty inside.  I suspected it was overheating so took a soft paintbrush to it helped along with a lot of blowing and cleaned it all off.  Hey presto - it works like new.[:D]

Oh well, a spare one is always worth having I suppose!