Livebox - holidays

I would, you're only wasting power otherwise.  I have a power strip which as well as cleaning the power supply has the nifty feature of turning everything off when I turn off/hibernate the PC.  So, all I do is hibernate the PC and when it powers down, the monitor, router, sound amps, USB fish tank , everything turns off too.  When I come back, a dab on the pc switch and it all comes on again, easy!

As an aside to this query, I know it is possible to suspend ones telephone abonnement if you are away for some time. You then pay something like 5€ to get going again with the same number. This is ideal for second home owners.

Does anyone know if there is a similar arrangement for Internet subscriptions via wanadoo/orange ?

Bear in mind that switching off will not protect from potential lightning strikes so if you are going to do it then think about unplugging it from the line also.

Good plan Pierre, I used to use a similar strip in UK where I had 2 PC's and a server running !

Unfortunately of course it doesn't work when using a laptop exclusively as I do now.

Our livebox stays on because of the VOIP phone, but all of the other PC kit is on a strip with built in surge protector. So what price is that worth. As Pierre said it makes it a hell of a lot easier when you switch the 'cornered rat' (PC) of and everything else is isolated...

We are away for a few daze soon and I hadn't thought of unplugging the livebox. Good idea me thinks!![;-)]

No, not what we are talking about.

The UK one I had was a 6 way extension strip whare one socket was a master and controlled the other 5. As long as there was a load on the master socket (PC for instance) the other 5 were live but as soon as the PC was turned off or Hibernated they shut down too.

Hope that's clear enough !

Ours is much more complicated than that Earnie. You have to switch the strip off, but is does protect the phone line as well.

That one you had sounds like a good idea. If you got one for here all you would have to do is put a French plug on the end. Almost all of our PC kit still has U.K. plugs because it is a U.K. strip. I haven't seen one as good here yet. If I do then I may consider changing it and all of the plugs. Then again I might not!