Freeview and subtitles

Hi,

I've done a search and couldn't find an answer, so I hope my raising this question is ok.

My problem is that I want to buy a freeview digital receiver in France with a hard disk for recording and would like to be able to switch subtitles on so that they record and can be played back.

Am I right in thinking that subtitles are sent via teletext and are therefore decoded by the TV - meaning that they are not part of what is recorded on the disk, or do they form part of the digital tv signal that can be switched on or off and hence recorded on the disk?

An English neighbour has a Humax box that he brought from England that records subtitles here. The staff at my local Darty store say this is not possible, as all subtitles are sent via teletext. Someone's having me on and I'm not sure who.

Thanks in advance.

DAS

Subtitles are only sent via teletext on analogue stations, IIRC. On TNT, the subtitles are part of the digital signal and hence are decoded by the digital receiver if it is separate (ie you are using a TNT box with a non-TNT-receiver-equipped TV).

Regards

Pickles