A NEW built unfinished house in France: is it possible to buy?

I'm a handyman close to retirement with a dream to live in Europe. Is it possible to find a new built but unfinished house (not palace or castle) in France? Google search gave results for many countries but not France... Thank you in advance.

Yes it is possible but you are buying a failed project,  in France why not buy some land and start from scratch?

Many people prefer finding old properties 300 hundred or more years old and restoring and remodeling.

If you just want a modern house that needs a little work there are lots here.

Welcome and good luck/

Yes definitely possible but you would need to research why it is unfinished.  You should also research on whether you would be allowed to live in it long term, since as a non EU citizen, you would need a visa to live here.

• 1 year later...

Some enlightened promoteurs have realised just how much of the finished price of a house goes on things that the purchaser could easily do themselves and often a lot better, from as little as painting and finishing right up to doing everything apart from the slab and outside shell.

Some will supply you with a kit of parts and the materials to complete the build at a price that you will never equal yourself, they use companies that supply the whole electrical system effectively pre-wired, the gaines cut to length and every termination labelled, same with the plumbing.

They show tariffs where the purchaser can save 40% by doing the inside fit out.

Google "livraison clos couvert"

[quote user="Chancer"]The site linked to is almost certainly paid for by vested interests.[/quote]

Chancer when I replied to a post on this thread 2 years ago my OH and I were looking, with interest, at a house for sale 'hors d'eau, hors d'air' and trying to find out as much as we could about the subject. As OH  can manage basic DIY well ie changing taps, putting up cupbpards, shelves etc etc you can see that we would have needed help with the finishing of the inside of a house so this is where the site link came from.

There is nothing more sinister than that.

Someone made a post earlier today on this thread, which has been removed as it was advertising, which is why this thread is back up at the top.

Sue

Sorry Sue, I wasnt questioning at all your motives, just that the site itself seemed to have an agenda.

You can never have too much information or too many opinions, thankfully the English in general are used to questioning things.

the "hors l'eau" I understand but what does "hors d'air" signify?

[quote user="Chancer"]

Sorry Sue, I wasnt questioning at all your motives, just that the site itself seemed to have an agenda.

You can never have too much information or too many opinions, thankfully the English in general are used to questioning things.

the "hors l'eau" I understand but what does "hors d'air" signify?

[/quote]

As far I understand it means the house is airtight ie weatherproof, in that it has doors and windows - which are lockable presumably.

Sue

Makes sense, probably like clos couverte, thats pretty much the same but would only need to be watertight rather than weatherproof, so a roof with ecran sous toiture may not have tiles on it, a timber framed house may not have the bardage, a parpaing one would not be rendered but all windows and doors etc in place.

Basically dry and sheltered so the other trades or the purchaser can set to work.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Makes sense, probably like clos couverte, thats pretty much the same but would only need to be watertight rather than weatherproof, so a roof with ecran sous toiture may not have tiles on it, a timber framed house may not have the bardage, a parpaing one would not be rendered but all windows and doors etc in place.

Basically dry and sheltered so the other trades or the purchaser can set to work.

[/quote]

In a new-build standard contract there is a stage payment linked to "hors d'air, hors d'eau" also, this is when you would normally obtain assurance habitation multirisques. Having just had a house built by a builder that has gone bust - there may be quite a few properties available in a state of incompletion available at the moment, as many people who embark on a new build do not realise that they need their own insurance for this eventuality.

• 1 year later...
As already mentioned your main challenge as a non EU citizen will be obtaining a long stay French visa, otherwise as a US citizen your visits to France will be limited to 90 days and a maximum of six months in any one year.

This French visa, which in recent years has become more difficult to obtain, has to be applied for in your country of residence, the USA, and if granted, prohibits employment and requires evidence of comprehensive private health care insurance to cover your health care needs in France, as there is no reciprocal health care agreement between France and the USA. In addition, you will have to pass a medical and demonstrate you have sufficient independent financial means.

That said at least there is a French long stay visa, which mainly is aimed at reasonably well off non EU retirees, as no equivalent exists for EU citizens wishing to stay for more than 6 months a year in the USA.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Dog"]

Yes it is possible but you are buying a failed project,  in France why not buy some land and start from scratch?

Many people prefer finding old properties 300 hundred or more years old and restoring and remodeling.

If you just want a modern house that needs a little work there are lots here.

Welcome and good luck/

[/quote]
i think it's a good idea!the price would be more cheaper

• 4 months later...
[quote user="Chancer"]And by a first time scammer, sorry I meant poster.[/quote]

That was the first and last post and visit to this forum by the OP but, as usual, everyone else benefits in some way from the comments made by the more regular forum members.