I'm trying to register a domain name and find I'm getting confused - easy done at my age :-)

Some registration companies tell be that the name I'm after is already taken whilst others do not, and tell me it's available - why is this? Also, does registration automatically give you the email address. ie: if I registered www.fredblogs.com do I get [email protected] ? Finally... any suggestions for a registration company or are the pretty much the same - apart from the price of course :-/

Cheers as always guys.

[quote user="Bannon"]

Also, does registration automatically give you the email address. ie: if I registered www.fredblogs.com do I get [email protected] ?

[/quote]

Normally you can have several email addressees for your domain and can opt to access your email via a webmail service, but you can usually set up 'redirection' so that email to your new domain name [email protected] gets sent to your chosen existing email address eg [email protected]

[quote user="Bannon"]

Finally... any suggestions for a registration company or are the pretty much the same - apart from the price of course :-/

[/quote]

I've used 1&1 Internet for years. Their French site is www.1and1.fr and you can check availablility there too.

Sid

Hi,

Registering a Domain Name is easy enough, however to use that Domain Name for email you must purchase an email account (many to choose from) or a Hosting account.  I use http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ for registering Domain Names and http://www.purplecloud.net/home/ for my hosting accounts, they also do email accounts for a small annual outlay.  Of course there are many and varied company's who will offer the same services.

Regards

Hi

I also have used 123-reg.co.uk, for domain registration and site hosting and have been pleased with the service.

In answer to you question regarding EMail addresses, you can select many options to forward emails to an existing email account even if you only register the domain name and have no site hosting

hope this helps

Stu the brew

[quote user="Stu the Brewer"]Hi

In answer to you question regarding EMail addresses, you can select many options to forward emails to an existing email account even if you only register the domain name and have no site hosting

hope this helps
Stu the brew
[/quote]

Hi Stu,

A domain name has to be associated either with a Hosting Account or a stand alone E mail account to use mail forwarding, otherwise anyone can use any invented domain name for mail forwarding.  Also to set up mail forwarding you have to setup the prefix i.e. [email protected].

Regards