HELP!

we have an Orange Livebox which works well but just realized that we have plugged our phone into the FT socket in wall instead of through Livebox and consequently we now have been charged for every call (over €300!) instead of €39.90 monthly contract. Orange tell us not to plug in phone through Livebox but when we do that the phones don't work (but the internet does). -any ideas would be most welcome.

Hi,

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I complained to France Telecom as they do not explain this to you but there is nothing you can do but put it down to experience.

You must ensure that you have an internet enabled phone, I was lucky enough to have two sets of phones, one set works and the other didn't. Check that the phone you have is an up to date phone that works over the internet. The best way to check would be to google your phone model and see what functions are enabled on it.

Good luck

Hi, thanks for the replies.  I've checked my telephone and it is internet enabled - would yu think I have to go through the installation again with the CD Rom?

I telephoned the Orange English speaking helpline as they speak more slowly and my French is not fluent - they said that I definately would not have beencharged for my calls if I was plugged into the livebox and she did upgrade me from 1meg to 2megs free of charge whilst I was on the phone which wa a bonus.

[quote user="writersblock"]

Hi, thanks for the replies.  I've checked my telephone and it is internet enabled - would yu think I have to go through the installation again with the CD Rom?

I telephoned the Orange English speaking helpline as they speak more slowly and my French is not fluent - they said that I definately would not have beencharged for my calls if I was plugged into the livebox and she did upgrade me from 1meg to 2megs free of charge whilst I was on the phone which wa a bonus.

[/quote]

your broadband works ok? if so there is no need to re-install the cd. Is your green light on witht he telephone symbol on the front of the livebox?

[quote user="writersblock"]and how do you do that?
[/quote]

I doubt you need to reinstall the CD (you can run the whole ish and caboodle without using the CD)

Put this http://192.168.1.1/ address into your web address line and you have access to all your livebox settings.  You may need to enter a login and password if so use ADMIN for the login and admin for the password.  You can then activate the settings to phone over ADSL, and also find the allocated number for this line, starting 09.

Having done all that, with the phone plugged inot the Livebox, you should now be able to dial the 09******** number and the phone should ring.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Like you, we had a huge phone bill because we didn't have the phones set up properly. Now, to keep life simple (?) we use the old landline method for incoming calls only, which saved us having to give everyone a new phone number and meant we could still have a phone on each floor to answer calls without buying any more.Then we use the internet phone for outgoing calls. Works well for us!

I'm not with Orange so this might be totally spurious but one thing you're possibly missing out on here is the cost for people calling you from UK.

My ISP (Teleconnect) has given me an 0844 number for UK callers plus a VIOP number which can be used through Skype for instance.

I don't know if Orange offer anything similar, probably not being a totally French ISP, but even so, if you can make outgoing calls via the Internet then I'd expect there to be a way to receive them also.

Ultimately of course you can immediately call your UK callers back and save their cost's that way although they will already have paid something.

We are using the livebox for telephony.There is no need to install any Orange software on your computer, I advise against it - especially if you have an older computer. There are two ways to connect your phone to the Livebox - one using a special phone via the USB socket, I bought a Dect phone from FT for this as the livebox is in the sous-sol. There is also a standard mini phone socket available, any modern phone should plug into this - you may have to change the 'keyhole' lead to a double mini plug one, leads available in most supermarkets. The dial tone when connected to the internet has a distinctive warble at the start of each tone burst. If you lose contact with the net, the line reverts to the FT line (you can hear the different dial tone) and hence their charges! My box is a SAGEM, others vary.