French citizenship based on French parentage

Hi there,

My mum is half French and has French citizenship. I want to apply for citizenship as I love France, have spent a lot of time there, can speak some French and would really like to retire there with my husband. We would not be planning to work/run a business etc

I am trying to work out how to do this. it's confusing, looking online ! I have read about going to the local prefecture but as we don't have a house there yet we don't have a local prefecture yet. Presumably owning a property is not a prerequisite ?

Ideally, my Mum would help me with this but she has lost her French identity card and isn't keen on getting involved in this. It's many years since she applied herself and this was with help from her French mother.

I am going to keep wading through the information but any

advice anyone can give, very much appreciated !!

Thank you

Debbie

[quote user="DebbieBoyes"] I want to apply for citizenship as I love France, have spent a lot of time there, can speak some French and would really like to retire there with my husband. [/quote]

It seems from this : http://www.thelocal.fr/20160624/how-to-become-french-before-the-uk-vote-on-eu

that you need to have lived here in france for 5 years consecutively and have a very good level of written and spoken French https://www.britishcouncil.fr/en/exam/bulats/french-citizenship.

I believe renting is equally regarded as being an owner of a French property but the important thing is to either to live or have lived here for a minimum of 5 years.

Sue

Thanks for your message Sue. I have read that about 5 years too but my Mum did not live in France before she got her citizenship and so I think there might be some exception to this. She has found her ID card thankfully and I have emailed the consulate to ask for clarification on the process. Not holding my breath for a quick reply though ...!!!

Thanks Rabbie - I have emailed the consulate in London to check the process. I have found some forms online too but hoping to avoid completing wrong ones - it's so complicated ! Fingers crossed the consulate will help.

Thanks for your reply

Debbie