Hotbird connection

I've bought a digital satellite kit from the brico. It is one of those with a double lnb for Hotbird/Astra1 connection.

Fitted it all up and using coordinates obtained from the internet set it as per the instructions (most unusual for me).

Eventually I got a signal strength and quality of around 70% on Hotbird but nothing on Astra. This didn't bother me as there are enough channels on Hotbird for me.

The next day I find that the signal strength is still around 70% but the quality is 0% and no picture.

I have tried 'tweaking' the dish as before to get the picture back but the signal quality remains stubbornly at zero.

Any ideas what to do about this please?

cheminot

Hm...   presumably this is one of those kits where only one cable is used and the switching is done seamlessly by Diseq.....?

Very difficult to say,  but the fact it simply "went" overnight (presumably you'd tightened everything) suggests:

1)   Loose connection somewhere - recheck the f connectors - no shorts,  correct length of bare copper,  etc etc

2)   Has the set decided you want an Astra channel not a Hotbird one?

3)   Had you perhaps managed to set it up so that one LNB was looking at the "wrong" satellite and the other wasn't looking at anything,  and then fudged the menus temporarily to get round the problem?   (in which case it would be the Astra 1 looking at 13 deg and the Hotbird one looking at 7 deg...   I think)

As you will have gathered,   sig strength tells you next to nothing,   I've ofen had an excellent reading with the LNB still lying on the ground!   Quality is indeed your friend in these circs.

I dunno - Timco?

Hi All

If you had a good signal from Hotbird and nothing from Astra1 then I think you are picking up Hotbird on the wrong lnb that is why you are not getting Astra1, not wanting to teach granny how to suck eggs but do realise that Astra1 is NOT the sat that has BBC/ITV on.

Have never set up a dual lnb before (I have a moterised dish when I eventually get a round tuit)  but I guess you tape over the end of one of the lnb's get the right sat on the one not taped and when you remove the tape you should have the other sat on it (fingers crossed) Martin or Tim might have another/ better way.

All the best

Thanks for the input so far. To go into more detail, I also have a seperate sky dish set up which works fine. To test the cable I swopped the hotbird cable onto the sky setup and it worked perfectly so I am as confident as can be that the cable is not the problem.

Regarding the Hotbird/Astra setup, yes it is a double lnb on a single cable. I followed the instructions carefully so provided they are correct then I am trying to set it up on the correct lnb. I did try lining it up on the other one just to be sure, but with no result, not even any signal strength! The real puzzle is that it worked OK to start with.

I am wondering if there is a fault with the lnb itself. I may have to resort to buying another one to find out!

cheminot

If you've got unlimited time and easy access,   my next step would be to connect the monobloc dish up to your existing Astra 2 box and see if you can align one of the LNB's onto 28.2 deg E.   Without Diseq signalling one of the LNB's will be "live" (although I don't know which one) but at least if you get it working on Astra 2 then you know that one of the LNB's in the monobloc is (still) working,   and then you could have another look for Hotbird/Astra 1....

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]If you've got unlimited time and easy access,   my next step would be to connect the monobloc dish up to your existing Astra 2 box and see if you can align one of the LNB's onto 28.2 deg E.   Without Diseq signalling one of the LNB's will be "live" (although I don't know which one) but at least if you get it working on Astra 2 then you know that one of the LNB's in the monobloc is (still) working,   and then you could have another look for Hotbird/Astra 1....

[/quote]

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried this yesterday with the same result, nothing! so the chief suspect is the lnb unit.

Fortunately they are cheap to buy so I'm going to get another one and try again.

cheminot

[quote user="tj"]The dual LNB is attached round the body of one of the pair ? Try attaching to the other, so, if when looking from front the left is attached move it ove to the right one.  [/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that, it didn't work either!

cheminot

HI

Just reread your original post, I was under the impression it was Astra 2/ Hotbird, as theres nothing much on Astra 1 all the BBC's and ITV's etc are on Astra 2.

Simplest way is get a motor 75 euros, and the worlds your oyster as they say.

[quote user="tj"]

HI

Just reread your original post, I was under the impression it was Astra 2/ Hotbird, as theres nothing much on Astra 1 all the BBC's and ITV's etc are on Astra 2.

Simplest way is get a motor 75 euros, and the worlds your oyster as they say.

[/quote]

No, the dual head lnbs are all Astra1/Hotbird as far as I know.

I've never seen an Astra2/Hotbird configuration.

I dont want to receive UK tv on it, I have a seperate sky dish for that, but to update events, I bought and fitted a new lnb today. Instant results!

I can now get either Hotbird or Astra1 but not both! I'm going to leave it on Hotbird, that has more than enough channels for me, many of which are shared with Astra anyway.

cheminot