Sending a Fax without a Machine

Do any of you 'techies' know if it possible to send a fax direct from my computer without a fax machine or fax modem?

I get irritating faxes at times like 4:30 in the morning, but as I have

no fax machine they arrive as if they were phone calls, and wake me up.

It's always the same number, (I think some business or other ) but when I

try to phone back to get them to stop sending them I just get the fax

machine at the other end...

I'd like to send a fax telling them to stop.

[quote user="Cat"]Did you read the Windows one?  Makes it sound a lot easier.[/quote]

But it says "

Although you don't need a fax machine, you'll need a phone line, a

modem, and a scanner to send and receive faxes from your computer"

I haven't got a modem..

[quote user="NormanH"]Do any of you 'techies' know if it possible to send a fax direct from my computer without a fax machine or fax modem?
I get irritating faxes at times like 4:30 in the morning, but as I have no fax machine they arrive as if they were phone calls, and wake me up.
It's always the same number, (I think some business or other ) but when I try to phone back to get them to stop sending them I just get the fax machine at the other end...
I'd like to send a fax telling them to stop.
[/quote]

I assume you are using a Livebox or an ADSL modem for your internet then?

Do you not have a phone connection slot on the back of your PC?

Most machines still have their old internal modem, unless you particularly removed it?

If you have then you can send a fax.

Will it even work though, stop them that is [8-)]

It's just another form of spam and if the "touch" a live fax machine (or think they have because you've responded by fax) you'll possibly just get more.

Even the fact you have tried to phone could in itself be the trigger for more [:'(]

The bottom line is that unless this is a genuine mistake, very unlikely because no legitimate business sends unsolicited faxes and especially not at 4:30 in the morning, then it's probably promoting a scam of some sort and sending a fax back is not going to stop it, you need to find a way to block the calls themselves.

In UK BT had a "Choose to Refuse" service where if you got a nuisance call you punched in a 4 digit number and it automatically barred it. I don't know if FT have such a service.

As a last resort you could turn the ringer off at night and if you feel you must, keep a mobile on for emergency incoming calls.

Thanks everybody.

I am not with FT I am with free, but the problem is I still have my old FT number which belonged to a business before I was allocated it.

I thought the timing was to do with automatic calls at cheap periods.

The number is

so it is from Paris..

As you may know you can have messages sent to your email by free.

Here is the copy of the fax ( recived as phone message)  I received at 05:35 on the 11th April:

Nouveau Message :

Pour : xx xx xx xx xx

De : 0170557505

Le : 2008-04-11 05:35:08

Duree : 48.123 sec

Ex-directory then, again not a winning ploy for a genuine business [blink]

[quote user="NormanH"]I tried calling the number during the night, and got 'all lines busy'[/quote]...yes, sending junk/spam faxes !

Just dialled it from here and it's still busy.

Here's a thought. maybe it's a faxing service for people who don't have fax machines [:-))]

What do the faxes they send you actualy say, are they adverts?  Are you certain it's a French number, as the only numbers I could find anywhere that start 0170 557 were in Berlin.

The few I've had were all fake adverts trying to get you to call/fax back to a premium (and I mean premium) number in order to win a cruise/get something free, you know, the usual rubbish.  The phone numbers are no guide to geographical location, they are often faked up to redirect youto some far off country outside the EU so you end up paying even more on your phone bill.

[quote user="Cat"]

Here's a thought. maybe it's a faxing service for people who don't have fax machines [:-))]

What do the faxes they send you actualy say, are they adverts?  Are you certain it's a French number, as the only numbers I could find anywhere that start 0170 557 were in Berlin.

[/quote]

The problem is that I can't open them as I haven't got a fax machine; but I know it's a fax from the characteristic noise it makes on my answerphone ( it cuts in after the call has woken me!)

beeped on for over 84 seconds on Tuesday night..