British Husband's Rights

Hi,

We are moving to France in January and are naturally concerned about the rights of UK citizens to live and work in France after brexit, (not to mention a possible frexit).

My parents are Irish so I can apply for dual Irish nationality and passport so presumably I won't be affected by Brexit but where does this leave my husband?

My question basically is - As he is my spouse, is he granted the same rights as me if I am in effect an EU citizen?

I hope someone can help answer this question or point me in the direction of an official information source on the matter...

Thanks, folks.

Erica :-)

I doubt that anyone can answer as none of us know what is going to happen.

There have been cases in the Uk recently where household income was less that , I think £35k a year and the spouse then has no right to remain in the UK, even if there are children.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-urged-to-rethink-new-35000-earnings-threshold-for-non-eu-migrants-as-teachers-face-a6814841.html

So even with current rules, can your spouse live in the UK anyway?  No idea if the rules have changed, you will have to check.

IF you have an irish passport best ask the irish gov services how they class spouses.

I think I read about a similar situation on another forum. If you take Irish citizenship, after that I think your husband would  be able to do likewise. Best to ask at the Irish Embassy.

Then you would both be EU citizens, brexit or not.

Anyone who has an Irish parent is automatically an Irish citizen and so your husband will also qualify as he is married to you.  If you wish, you can apply for Irish passports - you will need some proof of your parent's citizenship status, e.g. birth certificates.  There is quite a backlog at the moment for passports, though, so you may want to leave it a little while before applying.

Idun, I assume as Erica's husband is British he would have the right to live in the UK.

The Irish passport would do it, but if he didn't want to do that and if you were living in France as an EU citizen he would need a Carte de sejour. It would be granted on the basis of him being your spouse. We have a friend who lives here as an EU citizen with a Canadian husband with no problems. There will be a lot of people in similar positions. My sister in law has dual Italian/British nationality, we have plenty of friends where one partner has nationality of another EU country.

[quote user="vivienz"]Anyone who has an Irish parent is automatically an Irish citizen and so your husband will also qualify as he is married to you.  If you wish, you can apply for Irish passports - you will need some proof of your parent's citizenship status, e.g. birth certificates.  There is quite a backlog at the moment for passports, though, so you may want to leave it a little while before applying.

[/quote]It is not quite so simple. To gain Irish citizenship because you are married to an Irish citizen you must among other things have lived in Ireland for one year and intend to stay in Ireland.

Full details here

[quote user="lindal1000"]Idun, I assume as Erica's husband is British he would have the right to live in the UK. [/quote]

bearing in mind which section of the board this was on, I assumed that

the OP meant that their spouse was not from an EU country, including the

UK.

If it had been in another section, I doubt I would have made that assumption.[blink]

[quote user="lindal1000"]Idun, I assume as Erica's husband is British he would have the right to live in the UK. [/quote]

bearing in mind which section of the board this was on, I assumed that

the OP meant that their spouse was not from an EU country, including the

UK.

If it had been in another section, I doubt I would have made that assumption.[blink]

Lindal1000,

This is super helpful, thank-you :-) It's very reassuring to hear peoples own experience rather than just reading oodles and oodles of information on various 'official' websites which still leave niggly doubts in my mind, so thank-you again.

Apologies to Idun for confusing you regarding posting in this section - I guess it's going to take a while to get used to the UK being "Outside the EU" in the near future....

But nothing has been decided at the moment. No one knows what is happening and we are still in the EU, and paying, until it is all sorted out.

So really, I am not in any way confused about this.

Please remember that people have been moving from country to country prior to the EU or the EEC etc, in fact I know british people who moved to France in the early 1970's, maybe even a little earlier and we were not members then, so this feels like lotsa fuss about nothing at the moment.