Making a livebox wireless

I have a Livebox and for the last couple of years have just used it using an Ethernet connection. During this time I have had to change PC's and didn't need the Wanadoo software to reconnect so I haven't installed it.

My question is, is there an easy way of turning of the "wireless" connectivity without having to reinstall the software again. I would like to do this to give visitors with laptops access.

Many thanks

You dont have to reinstall as such.....but you need to put in the orange disc, and let it set up the wifi connection.

You will need the 128 bit key, which you can find in the configuration utility.

When you say you dont have software installed I assume you mean the annoying "gestionaire d'internet" the little interface where you can connect and disconnect, access email etc...but you must have some of the setup program installed otherwise it wouldnt work?

You do not need to use the orange CD to make the wifi active.( or even set up the livebox)

Click on this page http://192.168.1.1/

insert 'admin'and 'admin' for the name and password

This will open the livebox configuration page

Click on the section 'reseau sans fil' (WIFI)

it should say desactivé if it is not active. Click on 'Activer' to change it and then you will have to choose certain security settings (wpa,wep, mac or no security)

don't forget to click on 'sauver' or 'sauvegarder' afterwards.

You should see the wifi light lit up on the livebox.

Depending on what settings you choose, you may need to configure the  livebox again for each user...

Good luck

Danny

PS if you want, you can change the language settings to English to make things easier once you get in to the configuration page

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

You do not need to use the orange CD to make the wifi active.( or even set up the livebox)

[/quote]

wifi is "on" by default, setting it up requires the cd, the last light on the box is wifi

and if you have not run the cd, I dont see you will get to the configuration pages

[quote user="tj"][quote user="Jane and Danny"]

[/quote]

wifi is "on" by default, setting it up requires the cd, the last light on the box is wifi

and if you have not run the cd, I dont see you will get to the configuration pages

[/quote]

TJ, have a look here http://www.dslvalley.com/dossiers/orange/livebox-orange.php

Danny

Don't own one, but I've set up a couple for friends recently and never went near the disc. It can all be done, as far as I can see, from entering the i/p address from the web browser for installation, as Danny has said - and for Wi-Fi exactly as has just been suggested - put in the number and push the button.

Tim

Assuming you are connected by cable to the livebox,

open your browser and type 192.168.1.1

into the address bar at the top. If no joy then try with the http:// first .

if that does not work and the Livebox login screen does not come up you can try this:

(Assuming windows XP) Click on start/run and type cmd in the box and when the dos window opens type ipconfig

The ip address listed under Default gateway should be the one to use. If that does not work there would seem to be another issue with the livebox.

Be careful to put the address in exactly with no spaces

Danny

Mike

I wanted to give our visitors wi-fi access too, but found that the range wasn't sufficient to reach their rooms. We have the usual thick stone walls here. I've now set up a 'powerline' network (CPL is the French term) which uses the mains as a network carrier. I've tested the range on this and found that it works all over our property - everywhere where there is a mains socket). So now it's not wi-fi but a short ethernet cable connection.

Google "Netgear XE103" or XE104 for further info if you need it.

Sid

Thanks Danny,

I have tried both options and checked the default IP address as suggested, they are the same but to no avail. I am considering the powerline suggestion by Jan but would like to ask:

Do I assume that the existing ethernet cable that currently plugs directly into the Livebox would have to go into the Netgear box and then a cable would go from the Netgear box into the Livebox?

[quote user="Mike1958"]

Thanks Danny,

I have tried both options and checked the default IP address as suggested, they are the same but to no avail. I am considering the powerline suggestion by Jan but would like to ask:

[/quote]

I think it was Sid who suggested that...

[quote user="Mike1958"]

Do I assume that the existing ethernet cable that currently plugs directly into the Livebox would have to go into the Netgear box and then a cable would go from the Netgear box into the Livebox?

[/quote]

Uhh?... when did the netgear box come into the equation? Confused! If you mean the things that Sid was referring to, you just need the plug in things and no other box. The ethernet cables go from the plug in thing to the PC and at the other end from the wall socket to the livebox. They use the electrical cables in your house to make a network. See here for more info 
or here in English

If you want, you could always try resetting the livebox and make sure the wifi is working before buying other things. see here for more info in French

Danny