Annoying sales calls

We get a large number of unsolicited calls on our France Telecom phone number which are getting very annoying. Can someone tell me if there is a French equivalent of the TPS (Telephone Preference Service) who operate an opt out register which effectively blocks all unsolicited calls to your number? If not does anyone have any advice on how to get France Telecom to stop distributing our number? (please nobody suggest we ring the English speaking "help" line... arg!). We also get lots of junk mail which we know has been generated by information from France Telecom as they managed to totally mis-spell our name - any suggestions on how to stop this??? Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...

I have read all the links but we still have a problem....

We have always been liste rouge and have never received any cold calls or junk mail. Recently we registered a new business with all the various authorities and we are getting a stream of stuff through the door selling alsorts of stuff we don't want/need. Today I had an insistent caller trying to sell me 3000€ worth of advertising for the business.

It seems to me that one of the government related authorities has kindly put our details onto a list for all to see. Is there any way at all to stop this?

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]When they ring, I stick them on speaker phone (low volume) and let them rattle of their 5 minute speil while I do something else and then when they've finished, I reply to them Je ne comprends pas. Works great, wastes their time and it's no skin off my nose.
[/quote]

And gives them less time to phone me!

[quote user="Camonaise"]We get a large number of unsolicited calls on our France Telecom phone number which are getting very annoying. Can someone tell me if there is a French equivalent of the TPS (Telephone Preference Service) who operate an opt out register which effectively blocks all unsolicited calls to your number? If not does anyone have any advice on how to get France Telecom to stop distributing our number? (please nobody suggest we ring the English speaking "help" line... arg!). We also get lots of junk mail which we know has been generated by information from France Telecom as they managed to totally mis-spell our name - any suggestions on how to stop this??? Any help would be appreciated.

[/quote]

Premier question

Vous proprietaire

NO

pardon

au revoir

[quote user="Acegundog"]

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]When they ring, I stick them on speaker phone (low volume) and let them rattle of their 5 minute speil while I do something else and then when they've finished, I reply to them Je ne comprends pas. Works great, wastes their time and it's no skin off my nose.

[/quote]

And gives them less time to phone me!

[/quote]

Win win![:D]

I just hate getting them at home in England and have tried all sorts of things on the lines of previous posts to make me feel a little better about them.

Curiously in France I just love them. I get to practice my dire French with a stranger for free and often ask the caller if I'm saying things correctly and then maybe ask for a better way so's I can improve. They soon tire and politely end the call whilst I've had a good chat in awful French with a stranger and maybe picked up something new.

[quote user="Nearly Retired"]

Curiously in France I just love them. I get to practice my dire French with a stranger for free and often ask the caller if I'm saying things correctly and then maybe ask for a better way so's I can improve. They soon tire and politely end the call whilst I've had a good chat in awful French with a stranger and maybe picked up something new.

[/quote]

Exactly the tactics of my OH - I'm looking forward to doing the same but I think it'll be a while down the line yet ................

The junk mail isn't so bad, I can stick it straight in the recycling, but when it is a phone call they always use our name, sometimes the call is to do with setting up the business, sometimes it is cold calling. I am never too sure at the beggining of the call and don't want to upset any officials...

Does anyone know how to be taken off the list please? 

• 5 months later...