Problem Receiving Satellite Signal

Don't know if anyone out there can help.  I noticed yesterday that we were losing some of our channels and today we lost even more until we were down to just BBC1 and BBC2, the picture quality was fine on the channels we were receiving.  Tried turning the digibox off and then back on and now have NO SATELLITE SIGNAL BEING RECEIVED.  There is no signal strength or signal quality.  There was no gradual degradation of the picture.  We have recently installed a new  dual LMB and cable.  My father's digibox is fine, he lives above us and uses the same LMB.  Any suggestions?  If not French TV and satellite beckon.

Marielle 

[quote user="Marielle"]

Don't know if anyone out there can help.  I noticed yesterday that we were losing some of our channels and today we lost even more until we were down to just BBC1 and BBC2, the picture quality was fine on the channels we were receiving.  Tried turning the digibox off and then back on and now have NO SATELLITE SIGNAL BEING RECEIVED.  There is no signal strength or signal quality.  There was no gradual degradation of the picture.  We have recently installed a new  dual LMB and cable.  My father's digibox is fine, he lives above us and uses the same LMB.  Any suggestions?  If not French TV and satellite beckon.

Marielle 

[/quote]

There are lots of possibilities but not enough information, you are saying that you only could get BBC 1 and 2 only, nothing else, no radio, none of the other FTA channels? 

Try unplugging it completely and leaving for 5 minutes.  If still no signal it could be your box has died, so take it to your father's and try it there, at least you can see if it is the box or not.

If the box works OK then its the wiring, LNB or dish.  If you have just changed the LNB it could well be that, check the connections and all the joints.

Have you had storms?  Did you have heavy rain yesterday?  If you had the storms we had yesterday that may be the cause of your problem,  LNBs don't like storms and lightning strikes near by at all.

Thanks for suggestions.  Have tried unplugging, leaving for 10 mins and plugging back in.  We have had rain, but not a great deal.  Have tried the box at a neighbour's and it's fine.  All the connections look OK.  Think we will have to resort to the other suggestion of kicking my Dad out and pinching his TV set-up.  Can't understand why it's been OK since Saturday and then yesterday we started this business of losing channels.  They were there and then started disappearing.

If you are using a recently installed twin LNB my first thought heads towards the cabling. If you've had rain recently it's possible that there has been some water ingress. I would give all the connections a good inspection. It's possible that one half of your new LNB may be failing as well.

Tim

1. Swop boxes with your father's system to find out if the box is failing.

2. Swop the cables at the LNB end to see if one half of the LNB is at fault, or the cable is at fault.

3. Try fine tunning the Dish and LNB position on the system that is working using the non default transponder on a harder to receiver channel like BBC News  

Anton - Thanks for your suggestions, will try all this tomorrow.  Can't face doing it now, have been out all day and  just want a large glass of red and relax.  Will let you know how things go.

Many thanks.

Marielle

A friendly neighbour has now taken the box to see if he can sort it.  Have tried most of the things suggested although I am not sure if I left it on standby for 24 hours, I certainly left it with the green light on.  Will let you know outcome of neighbour's post mortem when I have it.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Marielle