Access to UK TV

Sorry to sound naive but I haven't a clue on anything technical either in the UK or (especially) France!  We would like at some point to connect our TV to receive UK channels but there seems to be some confusion at our local TV store in France.

What actually would be available to us in South Western France (Sky, Free to Air, Freeview?) and do all of these require a phone line?

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

There are number of options for UK TV depending on what you want - you don't say. I suggest you look at the information provided just above this message http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/465511/ShowPost.aspx

Have a good read and if you want to clarify anything, then please come back and ask. It would take me half an hour of typing to cover everything.

Regards - Tim

Well you should start by reading the FAQ's at the top of this section, and - hopefully - you will have a bit of a grasp of the structure of TV in a foreign land. Then have a look through some of the earlier postings and you should find most of the basic info you need.

After that, if you have specific questions, I'm sure we will be able to help you. But get a bit of the basics under your belt first.

paul

Tim - you beat me to it by about 30 seconds !

I quite agree Martyn. The piece was put together some time ago, distilled from other postings (probably including some of yours, as an acknowledged expert). Unfortunately I no longer have access to that section of the forum. I did point out some time ago to the admins that it needed attention, but it seems nobody has revised it.

I am sure all the information necessary can easily be found elsewhere on the forum.

I haven't read it myself recently eiher - should have done so before recommending it to someone else - I'm sure the main facts remain the same though and as I (and Paul) have said, the op can come back to us with any further enquiries.

Tim

Hi

If you dont have any special needs, ie 24 hr football, horse racing etc, then a simple installation of a satelite dish and decoder ( installed and setup, cost around 400 euros ) will give you all the UK channels except FIVE, plenty of movie channels, some sport, euronews, cnn, BBC world, the list is endless, all for free.

hope that helps

[quote user="tj"]

a simple installation of a satelite dish and decoder ( installed and setup, cost around 400 euros ) [/quote]

or if you do it yourself (not difficult) you can either buy a dish and  digital decoder from any French brico which I've seen from €59 on promo, or a Sky box from Ebay and dish from a brico.