TNT CHANNELS RECEPTION

Hello.

I was reading some time ago that the freeview receives in use in UK could also work in France. I have tried two of them without success.

Is there anything I am doing wrong. The receiver do not find any UHF channels. Do they perhaps use VHF in France ?

regards

ah.....    but are you on one of the main UHF stations for your analogue signal (Rouen,  Mantes,  Chartres,  Paris) or one of the many many relays that fill in the holes?

If the latter your aerial will be pointing at the relay in question,   which will NOT at the moment be equipped for TNT.   Said orientation will actually be rejecting the TNT signals coming from one of the TNT transmitter sites and so your box sees nothing.

If you can ascertain which transmitter your analogue pics are coming from then it will help to decide whether you should have TNT.   One way is to ascretain the frequency or channel numbers that you get TF1/FR2/FR3 on - on moderner sets this will be shown in the tuning search menus.  

The only UK DTT boxes that won't work in France are the original ITVdigital/OnDigital ones as they can't cope with 8k symbolling.

Let us know if you find anything out.   If all else fails tell us which direction your aerial points and (if it's not indiscreet to ask!) where in 27 you are.

You do need a cracking signal for DTT to work properly,  and if your analogue pictures show the slightest degradation (haze,  snow,  shadows) your DTT box is likely to shut up shop.

(As to VHF,  they do use it for Canal + analogue,  but not for TNT).

Agreed Martin - I brought over an ancient Grundig box but it does both 2 & 8 k and it works ok, but although this house had two antennas on the roof, they were both pointing at local relays. I had to install a high gain antenna pointing at Rouen to get something from TNT.

Strangely, the analogue signal from Rouen is not that good, hence the local relays, but apart from some muxes running lower power and atmospheric conditions prevailing, the reception is not too bad, although, hopefully, it will be more reliable when the power is cranked up a bit in a couple of years.

Tim

Well yes, possibly you may have to. The main transmitters are being kitted out with the digital equipment first, so if you look at the map shown in Clair's link in an earlier post, and you are within the coverage area of the main Nantes transmitter, you may well be able to get TNT. If not, then it will be a bit tricky for you until your local relay is upgraded and that may be some time away. I'm afraid I don't have the information for that to hand and it's late, so I'm off to bed. Perhaps someone more local to you may have more information that will help. It may be worth seeing what your neighbours are getting as that can also be a good indicator as to what's available in your area and probably more reliable than a map.

Regards - Tim