Why additional transfer fees?

A question to those who know more about French law than we do ourselves.

Friends hereabouts have lived in the Haute Savoie for 11 years, and who changed their matriomonial status to the "Universelle" in order to be joint owners of their house: sadly the husband died in March this year. The widow told us yesterday that she had had to pay +€6600 "to have the house transferred into her name" - which left us entirely perplexed as we were under the impression that if it was jointly owned under the above "regime" the law dictates that the husband's half automatically reverts to her? She is not certain why she had to pay this. Alarm bells started to ring. So before we find ourselves in a similar position, having had a huge scare with the Big C earlier this year, can someone please explain why it was necessary to pay this huge additional amount? TIA

Since no one else has answered I will stick my neck and and say that it seems to me that although the inheritance is quite clear and spelled out by the marriage regime, the title deeds will still need to be changed following the death to show that there is a single owner.  My guess is that the 6k€+ is the cost of changing the deeds.  So not a tax but a fee - still hurts the pocket though

[quote user="andyh4"]

My guess is that the 6k€+ is the cost of changing the deeds.  So not a tax but a fee - still hurts the pocket though

[/quote]

Gasp!!!! Ever met a poor attorney/lawyer/solicitor/?

Thanks for that - so this is what awaits us?

Did they have kids? I just wondered as we were told by more than one notaire that we couldn't make such a change before they were major, and then we'd need their permission.

Yes, this bill will simply be the transfer fee and it could be worse. These bills are expensive in France.

[quote user="idun"]

Did they have kids? I just wondered as we were told by more than one notaire that we couldn't make such a change before they were major, and then we'd need their permission.

Yes, this bill will simply be the transfer fee and it could be worse. These bills are expensive in France.

[/quote]

Two sons - one married, living in Swizzle, the second one married, living in Serf Efrika.

Expensive is the right word!

[quote user="P-D de Rouffignac"]I am afraid this is equivalent to a 'standard' property transfer (sale) so it attracts the usual government fees and taxes, of which the Notaire's fee is probably less than 2000 euros.
[/quote]

Does this mean that inheritors of property pay transfer taxes in addition to any inheritance taxes due, or is this the same thing?