Dynamic or fixed IP ?

Does anyone know how would I know if my IP address ( livebox and orange broadband ), is a Dynamic or fixed IP address in France ?

I want to configure some cameras that can be accessed over the internet and apparently it depends on whether it is fixed or dynamic. I have looked on my account on wanadoo and cannot find any info there.

I have also looked into the configuration pages of my livebox by using 192.168.1.1 and can't find it either.

Its more than 99% certain that it will be dynamic.  You really don't need or want fixed unless your PC is actually hosting a website and who on earth would want to do that from their home when webservers are set up to do just that (and fixed addresses cost a lot too)

You certainly don't need a fixed address to set up some cameras

[quote user="Mutiara"]

Does anyone know how would I know if my IP address ( livebox and orange broadband ), is a Dynamic or fixed IP address in France ?

I want to configure some cameras that can be accessed over the internet and apparently it depends on whether it is fixed or dynamic. I have looked on my account on wanadoo and cannot find any info there.

I have also looked into the configuration pages of my livebox by using 192.168.1.1 and can't find it either.

[/quote]

As said its dynamic. The IP address you have given is for the box and nothing else as seen from 'inside' your network. IP address's that start with 192.168 are invisible to the Internet which is why they are used for 'in house' networks. The IP address you have given is just to set up or change the settings of the livebox although you should be able to use it to see what address you are currently using to talk to the Internet.

Be aware that dynamic address's are leased which means that after a set period of time the live box will either ask for or be told to change it's address. So don't think that by leaving it on you will keep the same address. Thought I would mention that as I know a few people who think they keep the same address if they never switch the box off.

You can overcome the problems of a dynamic IP address by using a free service such as dyndns Go to Services then Dynamic DNS. Many routers have a special page or section where you can set this up, couldn't comment on the Livebox though.

I don't know about there being a set period for renewal Quillan, certainly as far as my own BB connection is concerned, as long as my router stays on it retains the same IP address and even a deliberate reboot reconnects on the same IP most of the time, no that I'm rebooting or checking it on a daily basis.

I would guess that to some extent it might depend on how big a pool of addresses an ISP had at their disposal relative to the number of customers.

Thanks very much for the replies so far ;

I am wondering how I can set up access to my DVR and cameras which are here in France ( connected to my PC and livebox) with a dynamic IP address then ?

Ernie I have had a look at www.dyndns.org and set up an account but I am not sure what IP address to put in the box where it asks for it ?. Basically when I either type in a URL or IP address, I want the remote PC to connect via my livebox router directly to the DVR.

I am close but don't know what I am doing wrong!! The problem is the only way I can test it each time is to go 6Km into a neighbouring village to try and log into it as it has to be on a different broadband server to my LAN!!

I don't know about Orange or other ISPs but Free give you a fixed address for nothing if you want it.  It's just an option on your control panel.  But once you've fixed it you can't go back to a dynamic address.  Do Orange not offer the same?

I'm working from memory here but first you need to do whatever it is you have to in your Livebox to enable DNS.

Then set up a host name in dyndns.org e.g.   mutiara.blogdns.com   or whatever you like from the dropdown list. Dyndns.org should auto detect your current IP address on the same screen.

To access your DVR you will need to set up port forwarding in the Livebox, can't specifically help you there I'm afraid because I don't know the evil things well enough but I'm sure if you Google you'll find loads of help.

Once you've got it set up you can use any computer to browse to http://mutiara.blogdns.com , or whatever you chose, and be connected to your PVR.

EDIT: Static IP's are not always a good thing to have. I will say no more [:'(]

You also need either the router or your camera-attached PC to tell DynDNS if/when its IP changes.  DynDNS then attaches the new IP address to the DynDNS URL so it continues to work.  If the Livebox can't handle the notification, there are several free utilities that will do it, running on the PC behind the Livebox.

Beware that updating DynDNS automatically when an IP address hasn't changed will lead to suspension of the DynDNS account.

Thanks for that - I've now configured it by downloading the  free client updater from that site which works alongside dyndns which hopefully will keep track of the IP address if it changes. From what you say in your last post I hope it does change. If it is a dynamic IP then surely it will change now and again?

I tried logging in to my home cameras from Macdos this morning and it works a treat - for now.

If anyone wants to try out my cameras and take alook around my place, please Pm me and I'll give you a tempoary password. I want to do this just to see if there are any issues with remote access.

[quote user="Mutiara"]From what you say in your last post I hope it does change. If it is a dynamic IP then surely it will change now and again?[/quote]

The update clients only notify DynDNS when the IP changes -- if it doesn't, they don't.  If you're using a client listed on their website, you're pretty safe.

In my experience, Orange seem to go through a spate of changing the IP every 24 hours for several days, then leaving it alone for a week or two.  When it changes, the connection is dropped (at the distant end) and the modem renegotiates.  It's all over in less than a minute and it comes back up with a new IP address.  All being well. [;-)]

[quote user="tonyv"]Umm, please do say more. Why?[/quote]One word - traceability.

Whilst a dynamic address is no guarantee of anonymity, in terms of tracing a static one is the equivalent of publishing your postal address because in web terms that is precisely what it is, a direct link back to a specific individual. 

No slur or accustion intended but the previous post conveniently illustrates my point, with the exception of a very small number of legitimate purposes, the BBC iPlayer being one, Torrents are the almost exclusive province of the illegal file sharer the likes of whom are the primary targets in Sarkozy's clamp down and likely to be amongst the early recipients of the first tranche of warning letters [;-)]

Hum, yes, I see your piont [:)]. But for those of us who aren't into copyright theft, or, for that matter, any of the other nefarious activities available on the 'net, it offers more advantages than drawbacks.

Dynamic IP really goes back to the old dial-up days; I know dyndns makes a good job out of a pig's ear, but nowadays, with always-on connections it's really a pointless overhead. I like being able to ssh into my server, ftp files in and out, and access my intranet from wherever I am. But then, I'm not the average user [:)].

It also means setting up some good security; something which most 'doze operations would struggle with[6]

Cheers, Tony.

Give over, you're telling me that you've never copied a vinyl record to a tape that ended up at a mate's or family member's house?

That's copyright infringement.

I agree that copying films and selling them for profit should be prosecuted.

But to me, theft is charging a fortune for a cheapo dvd that 80% of the time you wish you hadn't have bought in the first place.

I won't play that game, I can't afford to play that game, and I'm fully prepared to face the consequences.

[quote user="Bones"]Give over, you're telling me that you've never copied a vinyl record to a tape that ended up at a mate's or family member's house?[/quote]No, nor do I claim to live in a glass house, I'm merely attempting to answer the question and point out the merits, or otherwise [:D]

I don't completely disagree with your definition of theft however at odds it is with the law. You might go on to argue that as you're never ever going to pay to see a film at the cinema by downloading it to watch privately you've not deprived the copyright owner of anything but again the law would disagree.

Torrents and P2P are for newbs anyway, you can't beat a nice direct download IMO [;-)]