So, to get UK TV in France, do we just need a Freesat box, bought in the UK plus a satelite dish?

We don't want Sky, just the main channels we currently get with our Freeview box? (Which I gather won't work in France.)

Sorry if repeating but I can't find my way through all the refs that come up on a search.

That is if you can find a "freesat" box - I failed dismally in all the outlets I tried when I was back in the Uk a couple of weeks ago.

You can use an ordinary free to air digital sat box bought at a bricowhatever as well,  but the freesat box is designed to be more user friendly for UK channels.

Don't leave your freeview box behind,  if it won't work at the moment in your location (I've looked at the map and it looks a bit doubtful) it will one day function,  for getting you 18 channels of French (not British!) TV.

Hi there Llantony

We bought box, dish et al in Bricodepot here for 65€.  Works just fine if you can set it all up yourself.  If you need a man who will sell you what you need and install (not too expensive) I can send you details of chap in Montauban.

While you at it can you PM your e-mail address please as my computer seems determined to eliminate you from my life.[:@]  But I think it nice over there in Lauzerte, honest so would like to get back in touch.

• 4 weeks later...
I have just got a Humax Freesat Box from Comet in the UK, cost was £149, have now installed t here in France, but am a tad dissappointed as the only HD channel I seem to be able to get is BBC HD, am I right in thinking the others will be along later?

Well ITV HD is (I believe) fairly imminent,   and you should get ch 4 when they remove the scrambling from the HD version.

Apart from those "nearly there's" have a look for Luxe TV - it's listed as FTA and HD.

I'm not really up on the day to day HD progress so I hope someone with better info can be more precise.   But you certainly haven't wasted your money - just need to be patient a little longer!

The latest I've read is that the ITV HD channel is only available on the 'red button' so I'm guessing that there may be not too much HD content from ITV at the moment, but a red button will appear somewhere on the screen when a programme is available on their HD service.

I should add that apparentely this works only on freesat boxes and not Sky - some unresolved issues there I think.

Where you go to find what programmes may be shown, I'm not really sure (don't watch ITV much) but I guess a look at their teletext or website may give more info.

Apart from that, I'm with Martin - I'm sure there will a few more channels appearing - just don't know when.

I hope this has been of some help - regards - Tim

Incidentally -  how's the picture quality?    Impressive though the BBC's six SD streams of the Olympics are in terms of quantity,  the quality has at times left a certain amount to be desired - you should see the white pole-fencing round the arena "chattering" on the equestrian stuff (and the sailing was pixellating quite handsomely earlier)

In passing an alarming amount of what they are showing on the HD channels were originally filmed on systems which were far lower definition that current standard TV. Some classic silent movis where you can see the grain.

Bit like playing the 1960s CBS LP of the 1930's Robert Johnson which put on CD without being cleaned up through my system. 

You're absolutely right Anton,  and of course a lot of broadcasters have no technical understanding of their systems at all now,   as witness the number of channels on Astra 2 whihc are broadcast in the wrong aspect ratios (Red TV and Horse and Country to name but two which should be ashamed of themselves).

Problem is the punter is no better-informed;  look at all the people who thought they already had HD because their TV had a sticker on it saying

"HD ready"

and all the punters who have got used to TV being staffed by fat people (at least as shown on their screens) because they don't understand that 14:9 pics aren't supposed to fill the screen completely.

Oh well,  better go and do something useful......

I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the picture quality on BBC HD it certainly makes viewing the olympics a real pleasure, especially when you compare it to an ordinary channel.

I cannot wait to get the other channels in HD.

You could also buy a second-hand Sky box, which may be cheaper and easier to find than the new freesat boxes. You won't need to pay anything to Sky unless you want the one-off card to give you Channel5. Just get the dish lined up correctly, or do it yourself. Plug in the box and away you go.