Re: Emails are coming back!

I frequently get emails rejected from hotmail, tiscali and freeserve recipients.  There was a thread somewhere on here about how you can choose to send emails from wanadoo.fr using another port, and the wanadoo site does have a walkthrough for this, which I have used.  Don't know if it is the same for other french servers.  Someone more knowledgeable will doubtless tell you!

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="Puzzled"]

I have sent a few emails lately and some of them have come back - not straight away but after a day or up to a week later [:@]

If I use another email account they get through, but using my fr email they are not.

Are some email address blacklisted or is it likely to be a problem with my intended recipients server ?

[/quote]

Who is your ISP?  Who is the provider for your French email account?  What software are you using for your email?

I had some emails returned when I had a .fr email account.... The main ones were to organisation email addresses rather than private email addresses. I think some companies filter out emails comng from abroad so to speak (UK companies don't want French emails if they don't normally deal abroad) I changed to a .com email address and had no further trouble

[quote user="Nell"]I had some emails returned when I had a .fr email account.... The main ones were to organisation email addresses rather than private email addresses. I think some companies filter out emails comng from abroad so to speak (UK companies don't want French emails if they don't normally deal abroad) I changed to a .com email address and had no further trouble[/quote]

I doubt that companies who filter out emails would bother to "return" them - they'd just delete them.

Normally it would be your own service provider's server which,  being unable to deliver the email to the intended recipient's server, would return it to you (or more accurately send you a notice that they had been unable to deliver it). The reasons they could not deliver to the recipient's server would either be that they could not match the address you used with a valid user, the recipients mail box is full or that they apply a policy which simply bounces any mail from specific servers because they perceive the server to be a vehicle for spam.

This has happened to me in the past where the BT mail server refused to accept any mail from the provider of my mail service - a small and perfectly reputable provider who hosted my web site domain. This was a real problem as, at my request, my provider was automatically forwarding emails addressed to me @ my domain to my BT acccount (because it was a cheaper option for me than having my own space on my provider's mail server) so anyone who sent emails to me had them bounced because of BT's mail policies. It became so bad that I had to take all my email stuff away from my provider and find a new route for it to take (via a mail server in Germany which provides an excellent free service). Eventually I stopped using BT altogether because it was just refused to reconsider the way it handled my email.

Don't know if this helps at all.

Richard T

My son works in IT in the UK and when I asked him why my emails to him at work using my tele2.fr account were bouncing back a few weeks ago he said he had put a general stop on all .fr emails through the company server as there was a very high incidence recently of spam from .fr accounts.  Not sure why and fortunately I can use a UK based email account when I want to contact him.

Go to the Orange site on www.orange.fr

In the Rechercer box type "mailer Daemon" and press Enter - this will bring you up something that says "J'ai reçu des messages en anglais de la forme "MAILER DAEMON..."      and this covers a variety of messages you get from the Mail Delivery people when your message has been rejected.  They tell you how to get round this by giving you the option to send messages from a different port on your computer and I found it worked for me.

Good luck

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="Puzzled"]

Sorry for the delay in replying [:$]

I am with Orange fr and my computer system is vista.  I think it is my fr address that is causing the problem as they are getting through fine with my hotmail email address. 

When I had undelivered emails in the UK, they came back almost instantaneously, but as I stated in my earlier post they are taking up to a week to be rejected now and that is a problem.

[/quote]

If you're using Outlook, try sending your mail (SMTP) through port 587.

[quote user="tenniswitch"]

If you're using Outlook, try sending your mail (SMTP) through port 587.

[/quote]

I've had exactly the same problem in the past, unable to send from orange.fr to an address on an Australian ISP.

How do I send through port 587?  I've looked in the Outlook Express accounts and options settings but can't find a port number to change.

If you are sure it isn´t just the recipient barring emails from your ISP, you can try changing the port (on Outlook) like this:

In the Outlook screen click on

"Tools" then

"Email Accounts" then

"View or change existing email account settings", then highlight the account you are having problems with, then

"Change" then

"More settings" then

"Advanced" then

in the box next to "Outgoing Server", change to 587

Remember what the original number was (it's probably 25) in case you need to change it back.  Mine is on 587 with Tele2.