Orange livebox problem!

Hi

Hope theres a techy out therewho can help with this nightmare.

We have the Orange Adsl and telephone package, ie the telephone is connected into the livebox rather than the wall socket,

A normal occurence is that when it rains we lose our connection, almost immediately, not for long generally. This time however, it rained hard a couple of days ago, we lost the connection and now cannot make any calls, or receive them of course, but the ADSL is fine, surf the net, email etc etc all fine.

I have replaced the cable to box where it enters the house, have updated the livebox with the latest firmware, you name it I've done it, still no joy.

Any ideas ? by the way, for those who have the same set up, when the livebox is unplugged and you lift the receiver you get an engaged tone, normally that would change to a dial tone with the box switched on, but now it goes from the engaged tone to nothing.

help appreciated

[quote user="tj"]

Hi

Hope theres a techy out therewho can help with this nightmare.

We have the Orange Adsl and telephone package, ie the telephone is connected into the livebox rather than the wall socket,

A normal occurence is that when it rains we lose our connection, almost immediately, not for long generally. This time however, it rained hard a couple of days ago, we lost the connection and now cannot make any calls, or receive them of course, but the ADSL is fine, surf the net, email etc etc all fine.

I have replaced the cable to box where it enters the house, have updated the livebox with the latest firmware, you name it I've done it, still no joy.

Any ideas ? by the way, for those who have the same set up, when the livebox is unplugged and you lift the receiver you get an engaged tone, normally that would change to a dial tone with the box switched on, but now it goes from the engaged tone to nothing.

help appreciated

[/quote]

A friend here had the same, he had to call Orange to get a new LiveBox.  When it arrived, the fault was cured easily by swapping the box.

Hi

Thanks for your replies,

after much messing around with the damn thing, I went and got a new box, and we're back in business!

And they filed a report for the engineer to come out and check the local distribution board to see if they can sort out the problem of losing the signal when it rains, so a fairly productive day, in French terms anyway!

thanks alot

Why not just plug your phone into the wall socket and go with http://www.phonexpat.com/ . About 3 centimes/min for just about anywhere in the world and 0.9 centimes in France. PM me and I will give you the details. Plus if you tell them I told you and give them my number which would be in the PM reply, then we both get 240 mins free!! Good 'ere init!

Saves a lot of mucking about with a box that has to have mains power to it!!

If you are ever having a problem with your ADSL (or even dialup)  not working correctly

then plug a normal telephone into the incoming line and just listen to

see if you can hear any crackling sounds. When it rains, water can sometimes get into the joints and terminations on the line and this will cause disturbance/noise on the line that can interfere with the ADSL/Dialup signal.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Why not just plug your phone into the wall socket and go with http://www.phonexpat.com/ . About 3 centimes/min for just about anywhere in the world and 0.9 centimes in France.

[/quote]

Ehm, because the voip calls we use are free and unlimited and we have the adsl modem on anyway for the internet. We have not paid any call charges for about 2 years now apart from the very rare call to a mobile and they are cheaper than normal calls too. It is the cheapest solution for us.

Danny

.. ...Which is why many people keep their landline.  We use the VoIP for all calls bu still kept the FT landline to ensure that should the box go down we can still make and receive calls.  On the OP I do lose my telephine connection from time to to time but if you log into the box (see other posts on this 192.  etc etc.) and reconfirm your credentials it all comes back to life.

Panda

Jan,

I assume that you have a Sagem version modem like me. It looks like this http://support.aliceadsl.fr/fiche.aspx?FicheId=915&CatId=1124 If not, let me know.

You plug a telephone into the little cable and adapter (marked telephone) and plug the cable in to the phone1 socket on the modem. If the little indicator on the front of the modem marked phone is lit, then your phone service is functioning. You just dial as you would normally. When you pick up the phone and hear the dial tone, the light on the modem will start blinking  - this is normal. it means 'in use'

Do you still have a France telecom line? if so you can verify that you are using the Alice line by getting a dial tone and pressing ## twice. The dial tone will change to the FT dial tone and you will then be using the normal FT line.

If you do not have an FT line anymore and are totally with Alice, make sure that you are using the phone plugged in to the modem to call.

Please ask if you would like to know more.

Is there a French person you could ask to help you? The installation poster and instructions were very clear.

Danny

Hi Danny,  Thanks for your reply.  We do still have an FT line.  I did as you suggested and the phone light on the box does blink.  Your link was very useful and yes my box is a Sagem.  On our last phone bill, we were still charged for calls but we had only had the alice box for a couple of weeks so maybe the next phone bill will show us just paying for the line only.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Jan.

Hi did you know you must have 2 phones I was never told either one to call through the hated livebox and one to recieve calls both must be digital welcome to the livebox nightmare also filters in all sickets even if there is no phone attached !!!!!!!!

Good luck

Sorry stressless but you don't need two telephones, we have by choice as I use one for work but I know others who have set up so that all calls incoming go to one phone, they can also select whether to dial out over FT or the livebox by pressing the right combination of buttons.  As for needing filters on every socket, that just sounds madness and something I've never needed to do. 

Over to Jane or Danny to give the right explanation, I am an amateur, they know there stuff...

oooh this is all like a bad echo, having been through all this before with a neighbour's PC and France Telecom and Livebox.  So my understanding is that you SHOULD have two telephones.  One of them, for outgoing calls, is routed through the Livebox so that you can take advantage of the cheap/free calls on offer, it is actually routing through the widgets and electronic gadgetry that tells the phone line that this call is free.    Then you have another telephone plugged in to receive the phone calls from people who are dialling your phone number.  France Telecom explained that if you make outgoing calls on this incoming phone then you won't be able to take advantage of the free and cheap call service offered by the Livebox because the Livebox phone (for your outgoing calls) sends out a kind of code to say that this call is free.  Anyway, that's how France Telecom explained it to me after returning to Chateauroux for the third (and final) Livebox.  Maybe it was all baloney but, heck, who'd argue with someone who'd driven 40 miles for the third time, tried to find somewhere to park and couldn't, waited for ages in France Telecom's office and then had to explain why the Livebox wasn't working - perhaps the guy who told me this was just trying to find a way to stop me from throttling him!   So it may be baloney, but it sounds right to me.

And, re the Livebox, on this occasion when it was changed for the third one, the shop manager gave me one manufactured by Inventel instead of one manufactured by Sagem - he said the Sagem ones had more problems and Inventel proved to be more reliable.  Might be true, as there were three other people in the shop returning their Liveboxes for replacement.

Still, where would this forum be without the ongoing saga of France Telecom and Liveboxes ..... always makes entertaining reading unless you are the poor soul who is suffering from the blasted thing not working!!

[quote user="nectarine"]

oooh this is all like a bad echo, having been through all this before with a neighbour's PC and France Telecom and Livebox.  So my understanding is that you SHOULD have two telephones.  One of them, for outgoing calls, is routed through the Livebox so that you can take advantage of the cheap/free calls on offer, it is actually routing through the widgets and electronic gadgetry that tells the phone line that this call is free.    Then you have another telephone plugged in to receive the phone calls from people who are dialling your phone number.  France Telecom explained that if you make outgoing calls on this incoming phone then you won't be able to take advantage of the free and cheap call service offered by the Livebox because the Livebox phone (for your outgoing calls) sends out a kind of code to say that this call is free.  Anyway, that's how France Telecom explained it to me after returning to Chateauroux for the third (and final) Livebox.  Maybe it was all baloney but, heck, who'd argue with someone who'd driven 40 miles for the third time, tried to find somewhere to park and couldn't, waited for ages in France Telecom's office and then had to explain why the Livebox wasn't working - perhaps the guy who told me this was just trying to find a way to stop me from throttling him!   So it may be baloney, but it sounds right to me.

And, re the Livebox, on this occasion when it was changed for the third one, the shop manager gave me one manufactured by Inventel instead of one manufactured by Sagem - he said the Sagem ones had more problems and Inventel proved to be more reliable.  Might be true, as there were three other people in the shop returning their Liveboxes for replacement.

Still, where would this forum be without the ongoing saga of France Telecom and Liveboxes ..... always makes entertaining reading unless you are the poor soul who is suffering from the blasted thing not working!!

[/quote]

This is how it should work:

If you want to use two phones, you can. It is, however, not necessary. The phone plugged in to the livebox uses VOIP calls. It has a different number to your old FT number but it will also ring when someone calls your normal FT number and you can answer.  When you call out, use this phone to benefit from the cheaper or free VOIP calls. If you can/want to make use of two phone lines, then have two phones. If someone calls the VOIP phone number then only that phone attached to the modem will ring.

If you want to test this, call your normal number from another phone (mobile?) and have the phone plugged in to the modem and then try the same again in another socket. Or use two phones and use the one through the modem to call the FT number and the other phone should ring.

Confused?

Danny