Can you help? WiFi connection problems to Livebox

An interesting one...We have installed a livebox and it's up and running. With our web-book and our neighbour's lap-top we can 'see' the live box, but when we try to connect to it, using the Clé de securité printed on the back of the livebox, it won't let either in. We have tried things like using upper-case and lower-case, Os and 0s, but try as we might it won't let us in. Any ideas?

By the way, we're on LINUX, but we've had the same problem with windoze

Tom

[quote user="greyman"]You probably need to press the button on the back of the livebox that pings for connectable devices. Until your laptop picks up this signal it won't be authorised[/quote]

Agree with that ...

[quote user="greyman"]

But then again just chuck it straight in the bin like most people seem to end up doing and get a proper wireless router ![/quote]

Can't agree to that ... our Livebox has worked in an exemplary fashion since we acquired it. No problems with our computers nor with the laptops our visitors arrive with and link up wirelessly to our Livebox.

Sue  

[quote user="greyman"]You probably need to press the button on the back of the livebox that pings for connectable devices. Until your laptop picks up this signal it won't be authorised.

But then again just chuck it straight in the bin like most people seem to end up doing and get a proper wireless router ![/quote]

Tried pressing the wi fi button on the back but no good.

The lap-top thingy can see the livebox. In the 'connection management' box the 'Lixebox-6354' is listed and it tries again and again to connect to it, to no avail. Quite frustrating.

I'm suspecting a problem with the livebox but I'm no expert.

Tom

Sounds very similar to the problems I had with my Alice box.   A replacement was just as bad,  ie the network was "visible" but unjoinable.

Save yourself a lot of hassle by following the same advice that was given to me on here - get yourself a Wireless router (ie one that does not have a modem,,eg Netgear WGR 614).   The Live box still does its job,  but you plug its ethernet output into the Netgear which then gives you four ethernet outputs and a useable reliable wireless network. 

For €35 it's sorted my problem out.

These are probably stupid suggestions, but have you tried switching the firewall off temporarily while you try to connect for the first time? Also, can you get wifi connection to e.g. your neighbour's router? are you sure you have got the wifi on the computer switched on? I only ask this because on my notebook the wifi switch is in a place where it is very easy to switch it off by mistake and if ever it won't connect, that is usually why.

[quote user="Tarn1"][quote user="greyman"]You probably need to press the button on the back of the livebox that pings for connectable devices. Until your laptop picks up this signal it won't be authorised. But then again just chuck it straight in the bin like most people seem to end up doing and get a proper wireless router ![/quote]

Tried pressing the wi fi button on the back but no good. [/quote]

Assuming you have not installed the software from the CD have you typed http://192.168.1.1. into your address bar and used admin, admin to gain access to the internal functions of your Livebox and ticked the box to 'enable' wireless connection?

Sue

Both myself and a friend had similar situation with our Liveboxes, wifi problems, mine were intermittent. I took mine in and the woman couldn't find a problem and refused to change it, but after talking to the supervisor he changed it straight away. The woman was not amused! I went in with my friend and his was changed straight away. Both now work completely satisfactory. The Inventel units have a better reputation than the other make, the name of which slips my mind at the moment?

If you buy a router and have problems with it then 'you' have to replace it. By paying 3€/month if anything goes wrong it is replaced, plus when the new Mini Livebox is available you can upgrade to it. The new one will probably support Live Printer too. That means that you will be able to plug your printer into the livebox and use it as a local printer to ANY PC on the Livebox network. For me that means not having to switch on our tower PC when I want to print from our laptop. An advantage for us...

As an aside to anyone who has installed the Orange software. If you remove it it will not be necessary to sign on to the internet through it each time you power up your PC. It will go on line automatically. I ditched ours years ago.