Repairs to Amstrad DRX 100

Just for information:

One of my venerable Amstrad digiboxes went duff a few weeks ago, it refused to power up after a power outage and was staying on red, a common problem it seems.

I orderd a set of capacitors from Satcure, cost about £8, fitted them yesterday and voila, the box lives again.

Dead easy job for anyone who can wield a soldering iron with a modicum of competance and cheaper than buying a new box. They have kits and spares for many common boxes.

What exactly do you quantify as 'slow' I wonder ?

Don't know about yours but on mine at least an hour programme lasts for 60 minutes [Www]

Both mine are controlled by my TiVo's by virtue of which we rarely watch live TV anymore but record everything we're interested in to be viewed at our convenience, and equally importantly, sans advertisements, so we seldom actually 'use' the boxes independently.

Ah yes, very good :-)

By slow I meant switching from one menu screen to another and or scrolling down the menu. Maybe it's just the chips running at a slower speed but I seem to remember they worked quicker when he were new. I know when the Panasonics came out they seemed to zoom through the menu.

Well I have something like 80% quality and I never I scroll down menus directly on the DRX100, I use Digiguide and can control my Tivo's - and hence the Sky boxes - via the TiVo menu or via any web browser so I have never noticed any speed issues worth mentioning. Maybe newer boxes are faster but as they say, "if it ain't broke !"