sky satellite handset

Can anyone advise please.....

We have the old style sky box with a 'house' card. This allows us to receive terrestrial TV channels.

The handset is getting worn and some buttons are not working too well. How do we / Can we replace the handset without replacing the card or box?? We believe the handset is linked to the sky box or card?

Many Thanks,

Abi

Yes, that's correct - any Sky remote control should operate your Sky box - the only issue could be that the remote's are programmable to work with your TV set. If you buy a brand new one it will come pre-loaded with code 0000 which happens to operate Sony TVs. If your set is a different make you will have to enter the code for your set to enable it to operate the TV - e.g. the volume control which saves you from keeping swapping remotes. Other than that - no problem.

Regards - Tim

Although all Sky remotes will operate all Sky boxes (Sky+ has different controllers), a lot of the Sky remotes offered on Ebay are cheap copies, and (for some reason that I don't understand) will not operate all digiboxes - particularly the older ones - and do not contain the more up to date TV code software. Make sure you are getting a genuine Sky remote if this is likely to be a problem. www.satcure.co.uk is a good place to buy Sky spare parts etc.

That is fine Will if you live in UK.  The site does not have a sales counter or shop, and nor will they ship sky parts to France.

Does anybody know where you can buy a genuine sky, not sky plus, controller or handset.  We leave for the UK tomorrow, and would like to buy one while we are there.

Thanks,

David

Hi,

Having had the same problem as you, I found a different solution.  I bought a 'ONE FOR ALL'  URC-7950 in Espace 'U' in Mayenne for about 24 euros.

This enables you to control five pieces of equipment including the SKY BOX, the code required for it is 1997. So as well as having a new remote for the SKY BOX, we now have only one remote control in use instead of five.

It is also possible to programme it so that the volume works in all modes and you can programme macros so that you can turn off all your equipment with one key press.

Missing functions can be added and it can learn codes from other remotes.

Maybe this solution is not of interest to you but possibly it may be to others.

Frank

[quote user="David"]

That is fine Will if you live in UK.  The site does not have a sales counter or shop, and nor will they ship sky parts to France.

Does anybody know where you can buy a genuine sky, not sky plus, controller or handset.  We leave for the UK tomorrow, and would like to buy one while we are there.

Thanks,

David

[/quote]

Sorry, missed this first time round. I specifically mentioned Satcure because we have bought Sky remotes, the genuine ones, and had them sent to France. It's odd that you couldn't find a shop or delivery to France; I have just checked and you can still do that - there is a £4 charge for standard delivery to EU countries. Start here: http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page3a.htm

You can buy both Sky normal and Sky+ handsets in Argos (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5341070/Trail/searchtext%3ESKY+REMOTE.htm), Currys, Comet etc in England. These are proper, up to date, Sky controllers. Also via Ebay, but make sure it's a 'genuine' Sky one.

[quote user="flittle"]

Hi,

Having had the same problem as you, I found a different solution.  I bought a 'ONE FOR ALL'  URC-7950 in Espace 'U' in Mayenne for about 24 euros.

This enables you to control five pieces of equipment including the SKY BOX, the code required for it is 1997. So as well as having a new remote for the SKY BOX, we now have only one remote control in use instead of five.

It is also possible to programme it so that the volume works in all modes and you can programme macros so that you can turn off all your equipment with one key press.

Missing functions can be added and it can learn codes from other remotes.

Maybe this solution is not of interest to you but possibly it may be to others.

Frank

[/quote]

Frank that is interesting - Does the one for all have features that the sky remote has, such as the i button red button etc. And how does a french remote such as the one for all have a code for a Uk skybox ?? I may get one if there are no drawbacks.

Hi,

The i button function using the code I mentioned is operated by the same button that stops the VCR playing.  As far as I can see I have all the original functions, or at least the ones I use!

As you will see from the web site, it is possible to replicate missing functions and yes it has the Red and other coloured buttons.

Frank