Just purchased a Sony HDD recorder which after studying the 180 pages plus instruction manual appear to have it working OK.   Just one question should I be able to receive the guide plus programme information?  I understand this is broadcast via a host channel (Eurosport) which I can receive via my skybox.  I've tried everything but cannot get it to work.  I don't want to waste any more time trying to set it up if for some reason I cannot download in it France.  As the skybox thinks its in the UK I've set all the guideplus settings to the UK also.

Any information or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.  The signal is received via a sky box which I assume thinks its in the UK, I have therefore used the UK settings.  Do you think this is the correct approach.

Anybody using g

Guideplus for programming?

Thanks

If you are using a Sky box then its transmitted via Astra 2A on the Eurosport channel which is via subscription with Sky which implies that if you don't pay a subscription to Sky and just use it for FTA then you won't get the data. Likewise if you are using a French box you receive the data via the Canal+ channel for which you must pay a subscription which is transmitted on Atlantic Bird 3 but not on Hotbird for some reason.

Quillan - if the data is via Eurosport on Canalsat (or more likely its transponder) then it will be on Astra 1 not on AB3.  (unless it's the BIS bouquet of course)

But otherwise you are of course entirely correct.

Canal + is only broadcast as one *analogue* SECAM channel on AB3.

Sorry to nit pick,  as you say it sounds as though the OP is trying to get an EPG off a different sat to that at which their dish is pointing.

No problem but I was only going by what their website says and quoting directly from it then trying to put it in to more basic form so the OP could understand.

As far as the information on the website is concerned it seems to make quite clear that the data via a Sky box is only transmitted on the Eurosport channel that is received by the Sky box which it says is transmitted via Astra 2A or have they got it wrong? To get French TV data you cannot use the French version of Eurosport as does not send the data, it is sent on the Canal+ channel which you can pay extra for as part of TNT (satellite) and of course comes from a totally different satellite.

I think I misunderstood the country of origin of this famous EPG,  so what I posted was probably not terribly accurate.   As you say,  if it's aimed at a Sky box then it must be coming from one of the Astra 2 sats.   If it's aimed at a French box it would I think be on Astra 1 with the digital version of Canal +.

Either way one would have to use the correct stream from the correct sat.

Which probably helps not a jot in forwarding the OP!!

Well I wonder how that works then, as Canal + will cease its (analogue) transmission on AB3 in two years time,  and what will be left there is the BIS bouquet and - possibly - a few versions of France Televisions.   I'm really puzzled as Canalsat/Canal +'s "home" for digital is Astra 1.

Sorry to have queried you Quillan,  I shall go off and do some detailed research in the next few days.  Most peculiar.

Well it looks to me as though the French version of this is quite "old" (the copyright on the site is 2004).   It goes on to say that it isn't suitable for TNT at the moment,  lending further evidence to that premise.

So as far as I can see we're looking (in the case of France) at a system that in its current form only has two or three years to go,  and is designed to work only on AB3 for analogue channels.    It's a stop gap (and rather limited) for those who don't have a Canalsat sub (on Astra 1) where the EPG is - I imagine - rather more comprehensive.    One's hardly going to erect a dish on AB3 *just* to get at an EPG for other sats.

I had imagined we were talking about something all new and shiny Quillan,  hence my puzzlement that it was on AB3.   

It sounds as though the British version is more up to date!

Going back to the OP,   how is your Guide Plus box connected to the satellite dish?   It seems that in most cases they recommend that you connect your TV aerial to it (for ITV's teletext datastream) and that you only use Astra 2 Europsoprt's stream for cases -  like yours - where that's not available.    But the box has to get its data somehow,  and I'm not sure how they suggest you link your box,  your skybox,  and your dish....?  Is it simply via an aerial fly lead from RF out on the sky box to RF in on the recorder?

I am by no means an expert on this but can only go by what I personally have and what was on the website given on the link some posts back. I have recently received a Digital Decoder from Orange as part of their Internet deal. This has High def, recorder and other stuff and receives TNT TV as well as pay to view films, it also receives the Canal+ channel which I have to pay a subscription for.

It very clearly states in the manual, on the letter send separately about installing the dish and on the Orange website that to use the decoder to receive all this it must be pointed at either AB3 or Hotbird. From what you are saying perhaps AB3 transmits both analogue and digital. As I said I can only go by whats in the documentation I got with the Orange box and it works. The only difference I noticed when looking at the link in the previous post was that it says AB3 for Canal+ and not Hotbird as well so I made the assumption that the OP had to use AB3 then get a Canal+ subscription and that if he pointed to Hotbird it might not work. Well that was my logic anyway.

Quillan - I'm not trying deliberately to argue with you and I have said several times that I'm puzzled.

I can find no version of Canal + (apart from the analogue one) mentioned on AB3.   However,   Lyngsat may be wrong,  not updated,  or I may be being stupid.    There *is* a version of Canal + digital on AB3 but it's a professional feed using Newtech technology and is not for public use. 

I don't know how your internet box is working,   could it be getting Canal + via ADSL?

Can we leave it at that?  ie that I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER and am sorry I ever mentioned it!