[quote user="bourrut"]sound is not an engaged signal but more like someone is not talking[/quote]Can you elaborate on this. Is it silent or can you hear background noises like a phone is off the hook somewhere ?

Who is your ISP BTW (I'm guessing Orange/FT) ?

This occurred IMMEDIATELY at the end of your call to your pal and you called him, yes ?

Given the above it definitely sounds like his end has not released the connection but how or why, or perhaps more pertinently, what you do about, it I don't know. I think the first step must be to call FT and report it.

Is his mobile working OK ?

OK Malcolm but is it working, i.e. can he make a call. I'm suggesting that the system may have failed to release the line not necessarily his actual phone which would have gone flat by now and released anyway.

This does not of course explain why VOIP isn't working though [8-)]

Having just fitted my Livebox can I say if the OP has two numbers then he will have a normal phone line which he had before and a new one for his Livebox (If you are on the 29.99 Euro a month tariff, plus 3 Euros for the Livebox if you are renting, then you definitely have your original phone line). If you decide to go completely VOIP then your original phone number is transferred to your VOIP phone and you will have no bills for French Telecom (do you still get a bill from FT every 2 months?).

You can do a master reset on the Live box, there is a tiny hole on the back (not the side where the power and phone are plugged in) of the box, press it and count to 5 slowly. If that fails then you can, remove the power cable from the box, hold down the white reboot button and whilst doing so re-insert the power cable. Keep the button pressed for 20 seconds and you should get a cascade of blue lights on the front. Release the button and wait for the router to complete it's boot.

If you have any blue lights flashing particularly the far right one then the box is faulty, try a reset, if that does not work you need to replace the box. If you bought the box and its out of warranty then you need to buy one, good reason in my book to rent.

You absolutely must have a filter installed. The fact it may have been working OK before is more by luck than anything else. You will have had two in the box with the router.

If you go to one of the big supermarkets there is normally an Orange shop, you can get them to phone on your behalf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livebox

Which Livebox have you got Quillan? Because I 'think' that Malcolm has the Mk1, not the Mk 2 which I think you have???

I forgot to mention Q that if you have TV over Internet disabled then you can have 2 ethernet cables and run 2 PCs off of them. In fact I was reading on an internet forum a couple of days ago that someone had connected an ethernet hub to the 2nd socket and was running 7 PCs on ethernet and 2 laptops on wifi...

hi Quillan, i think we are on a different system ,we pay 32 euros plus calls every 2months to ft, and also 32.89euros each month to ft internet orange.sorry just realised we have a filter installed .all lights on live  box working correctly.have tried a reboot,but think its a problem with ft orginal line as computer is working ok.malcolm

I guess I must have the latest as it only arrived a few days ago.

I don't think the OP would know about the the yellow socket, its more of a techie thing and not mentioned in the manual that comes with the Livebox, well not in mine, it just says TV/Decoder

You can plug a switched, or any hub, into the Livebox using just just the red port. We have two laptops, HP Ipaq, HP Printer, a media remote control (Philips) streaming both video, audio and pictures running Wifi plus a Novel server, Apache Server, and two PC's running via a hub plugged in to the red port and it works very well. Once my dish is setup we will have the TV as well. I think they are brilliant.

[quote user="bourrut"]hi Quillan, i think we are on a different system ,we pay 32 euros plus calls every 2months to ft, and also 32.89euros each month to ft internet orange.sorry just realised we have a filter installed .all lights on live  box working correctly.have tried a reboot,but think its a problem with ft original line as computer is working ok.malcolm[/quote]ā‚¬16/mth plus calls means you have a standard FT line into which you should be able to plug an ordinary phone and if not any amount of playing with the Livebox ain't going to fix this basic problem. You have to find a way of contacting FT to report it.

Others more familair with Liveboxes than I may be able to divine why your VOIP isn't working.

BTW ā‚¬48.89/mth PLUS calls is very expensive [:'(]

We have a similar setup Ernie, but we use the VIOP phone for outgoing and the standard phone for incoming. The reason was to ensure that we will always have a phone line during any power cuts, like the one we had this lunch time!!! The VIOP calls are included in the total and we use it for France and the U.K. plus very occasional calls to the good old USA. So we haven't paid for calls since we had it.

I agree that you are going to have to contact FT and going into your nearest FT shop will probably be your easiest option. You can try 01.55.78.60.56 from a neighbours phone too if that's possible. That's the FT English Helpline, but they will probably tell you to phone either 3900 or 1013 which are both French and almost impossible to follow!!! I tried this eve! The 01 number operates 9 till 5 Mon to Fri only...

Identical JJ, and for the same reasons [;-)]

From personal experience the FT English line on 0800 364 775 is for sales not faults and I believe 01 55 78 60 56 (which can also be dialed from UK - 0033 1 55 78 60 56) ends up at the same place so I think it's 1013 or a visit to an FT/Orange shop.

Malcolm, we are decided! Your best bet is to go into your local FT shop and get them to check your line and setup. If your French is up to French standard then try the 1013 or 3900 numbers from a neighbours, but if you do then good luck mate!

The first thing to sort is your standard non VIOP phone and then that may well point you in the right direction for the VIOP phone problem? If anyone can help then it will be FT?

Good luck.

[quote user="Quillan"]

I guess I must have the latest as it only arrived a few days ago.

I don't think the OP would know about the the yellow socket, its more of a techie thing and not mentioned in the manual that comes with the Livebox, well not in mine, it just says TV/Decoder

You can plug a switched, or any hub, into the Livebox using just just the red port. We have two laptops, HP Ipaq, HP Printer, a media remote control (Philips) streaming both video, audio and pictures running Wifi plus a Novel server, Apache Server, and two PC's running via a hub plugged in to the red port and it works very well. Once my dish is setup we will have the TV as well. I think they are brilliant.

[/quote]

This has got to be a wind up!! How can you not know if you pay for an FT line??

[quote user="bourrut"].sorry just realised we have a filter installed .[/quote]

Now you know what the filter is, can you try another one before you go all the way to an FT shop, I seem to remember the livebox comes with 2 of them, or beg steal or borrow one from a neighbour?

First of all thanks to everyone for trying to help, john thanks for trying to ring ft for me,have changed the filter this morning,still the same.i want to know where is twinkle with her magic bloody wand when you need her,[:D]we are off to madrid for the weekend so monday will go look for ft shop,once again thanks everyone.