Ipod Micro Chaine

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a small sterio system that incorproates an Ipod dock, radio, CD/MP3 and tape player please? The tape is important because we have a lot of audio books and French learning programmes on tape and there is NO way that I am going to put them on CD.

At the moment we have a small unit that we have to plug the Ipod into via the headphone socket and it has to be recharged seperately. Not too bad, but a pain sometimes when it dies!

Bose is out of the question! Nice kit, but too cher me thinks...

With cassettes now being ancient technology I doubt if you will find a system that includes a tape deck and an MP3/iPod dock. If you do it's likely to be either unbearably naff or horribly expensive.

Mrs IG is a language teacher and she uses a stand-alone tape recorder (SONY TCM-939 NOIR) because it's got a tape counter and she can replay any given segment at will. Nowadays I have to transfer CDs onto tape for her.

http://www.darty.com/nav/achat/image_son/radio_reveil_dictaphone-dictaphone/dictaphone_cassette/sony_tcm-939_noir.html

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Just out of curiosity, why the reluctance to copy them to disk ?[/quote]There speaks someone who clearly hasn't spent weeks of his life ripping dozens of tapes and LP's to MP3 [blink]

Oh, and we won't mention the legal side hey [;-)]

ErnieY –

As long as Jonzjob isn't planning to sell the copies in his local market, or give them away to friends, he is free to copy them onto whatever medium he chooses.

This is reminiscent of a discussion I had with a colleague who was planning to transfer his entire LP (and then CD) collection to his PC and then bin the originals. He has been thoroughly wound up by a mutual friend who had convinced him that without the originals he would be breaking the copyright laws. He being of a nervous disposition, I envisioned him lying abed, plucking the blanket, waiting for the 3am knock!

It took me a while to persuade him he was unlikely to do time!

Meanwhile, back at the original question…

ION: the people who make turntables with a USB output, now do a model with an ipod dock, and also a line input. I haven’t actually played with one, but I imagine a tape deck could be plugged into the line in. You could kill two birds with one stone, and dispose of your LPs too!

I think it’s called something like ‘The ION dock’

paul

As Ernie pionted out about the time factor. I have "The Lord of the Rings" on 14 X 1 hour audio tapes just for a start. Plus gawd knows how many Sherlock Holmes, Agy Christie, Dorothy L Sayers, French learning, etc. So A cassette is really needed. A real plus for listening to tapes is that if we are listening to a long story, normally during our dinner, we stop when we are finished eating and just like magik it starts at the same place next time [geek].. We have a fair number of long stories, all popular with us. The Ipod is good for that too because it stores a resume piont on the Audible audio books we get.

Deepdale, ta for the dig about the Kenwood (I thought they made mixers, food not sound?). I hadn't seen the cassette bit and that sounds a goodie. There is a Phillipz model that's similar too!

I might have guessed that you would come up trumphs Cathy. Thank you![kiss][blink][:$] Ta.