Serious problem with IE7 ...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting, Suein56. I would have thought that Trend Micro would inform their customers directly?! (they haven't, so far)

What do you use Norman?

(posted via Mozilla Firefox, which imports favorites & settings from IE when setting up)

Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

I have always used IE.  It does everything I want it to do. I want to open a web page , it opens it.  I want to use a secure web page, it does so.  Save and open a favourite website, no problem.  It does so when I ask, as soon as I ask.  Why would I want an alternative?

The same goes for Google.  On another thread, someone suggested that it wasn't the best.  However, almost everything I have ever asked of it has come up with the answer on the first page, and almost always the first or second response.  On those occasions it hasn't found what I want first time, it's usually because I asked a complicated question when a simple one would do. Why use anything different?

This is a serious question, not meant to provoke anyone[:D]

I like you Maricopa am quite happy with IE.

I do however use the IE8 Beta 2 version due to its enhanced Internet Security protection.

If you are however concerned and use XMLHTTP, this feature can be temporarily deactivated in Advanced Internet Security Options.

IMHO the most secure browser at thiis moment in time is the Google Final Version now using a "SandBoxie" concept. No doubt the quickest browser on the block.

The adoption of the "SandBoxie" concept with isolation of the browser and rendering functions means that if you do get into trouble a simple closure of the active tab will prevent the problem getting any deeper into your system. The additional security of Vista vis-à-vis Google Chrome makes it robust.

Marcopa, I've always used IE (& Google!) too, for exactly the same reasons as you.

However on reading the article (link in OPs post), where Trend Micro (amongst others) recommend using an alternative browser until Microsoft come up with a security patch, I've downloaded Firefox and will use it until a patch for IE is forthcoming.

It's a publicised risk, act upon it or ignore it, you take your choice. Amongst the millions of users, only a small percentage is likely to be affected but for me I work (hotspots) and bank (private network only) using the internet, so I pay for up-to-the-minute automatic virus updates and I act on warnings issued by trusted sources.

NB all versions  of IE (previous & subsequent) are affected not just IE7.

[quote user="Âme"]Marcopa, I've always used IE (& Google!) too, for exactly the same reasons as you.

However on reading the article (link in OPs post), where Trend Micro (amongst others) recommend using an alternative browser until Microsoft come up with a security patch, I've downloaded Firefox and will use it until a patch for IE is forthcoming.

[/quote]

I am sure that after getting used to Firefox you won't go back to IE, try "speed dial" a download for firefox.

The only problems I have with Firefox are occasional,  and (the most irritating) prevent me from listening to a radio station relay on the internet.    IE produces audio,   Firefox and Opera don't.    I can't be bothered to find out why,   so just keep IE in reserve for the rare times it's needed.

I like to use "the opposition" simply because those who know more about these things than I tell me that Microsoft is too big,  too lazy,  and that we've slept-walked into letting it dominate the computer world.     But I'm not clever enough to use Linux etc so really my gesture is somewhat futile!

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]The only problems I have with Firefox are occasional,  and (the most irritating) prevent me from listening to a radio station relay on the internet.[/quote]

I use IE Tab as an add-on to Firefox, for those instances when some features do not play or to view a website which is not optimised for Firefox.

[quote user="gosub"] try "speed dial" a download for firefox.[/quote]

[quote user="Clair"] I use IE Tab as an add-on to Firefox[/quote]

Lovin' these accessories. Thx [:D]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]BUT if you read the last line of that report it says that ANY brouser may be affected![/quote]

In the future, yes, there may/will be vulnerabilities in other browsers because none can guarantee immunity against hacking. This current vulnerability affects only IE.

Martin, these are the Firefox add-ons I use the most. if interested, you can find them by going Tools/Add-ons/Get add-ons.

• Adblock Plus
  • Flashblock
  • gTranslate
  • IE Tab
  • Reminder Fox
  • WebMail Notifier
[quote user="Martinwatkins"]You're

not going to get that TNT from La Bastide Haut Mont by Christmas are

you.....   (as originally planned).   I thought it wasn't going to

happen.[/quote]
I haven't been holding my breath [:D]

Add ons:

I can also recommend

the British English and French dictionaries (for spell checking)

Dictionary switcher (to toggle between these if you are frequently changing languages)

Download helper

I also use Foxmarks  which lets me access my bookmarks from any other computer that has Firefox

Copy from Beta News update:

Rather than take a chance on all these reports being false, Microsoft is taking the step of patching the Web browser anyway, categorizing the issue as Critical. Tomorrow morning at 10:00 am Pacific Time, 1:00 pm Eastern Time, Microsoft will issue an out-of-cycle patch that addresses the likelihood of the problem. The patch will apply to all versions of Internet Explorer ranging back to IE5.01 Service Pack 4, all the way to IE8 Beta 2; for all versions of the operating system dating back to Windows 2000 SP4.

I am always amused by the attempts by journalists to comprehend complex computer security issues.

I presume that all the bunnies now running Opera DID remember to install YESTERDAY the critical security upgrade by installing the Version 9.6.3. Although the security issues involved are covered comprehensively, particularly on Teutonic Web Sites, it is oh so difficult to find anything at all on the Opera Web Site; obviously a policy of LIMITED transparency unlike MicroSoft.

I have however received a security warning from Sleipnir, a Japanese Browser that I use.

It of course uses the same engine as Internet Explorer.

The Sleipnir team have heard that there may have been problems with browsers on the Chinese Mainland. I use Sleipnir for Japanese web sites as I can run Japanese/English at same time.

I am however dubious as nowadays a group with a p2p Botnet operation should be able to get an Exploit up and running in under 10 minutes to cater for a specific Zero Day event.

But it does give the FireFox/Linux/Green Brigade the chance to blow bubbles. LOL

No signs yet on net forums in the french diaspora of any corroborated nasties.

[quote user="pachapapa"]I presume that all the bunnies now running Opera DID remember to install YESTERDAY the critical security upgrade by installing the Version 9.6.3. [/quote]

The request for the update to 9.63 came up automatically when I opened Opera.