telephone numbers

Can anyone offer any help/knowledge with France telecom/orange telephone numbers. We recently signed up with France telecom and received a livebox et all. We've got t'internet up and running (wireless)and are (so far) very impressed. We then received an email from Orange informing us of a 09 telephone number but are a little confused as to what this number is for. We are thinking it is for making local/international? calls (as part of the package), but when trying to dial in to it from friends houses, cannot get through, and we have to unplug the phone from the blue lead of the livebox and put it back into the ADSL enabled socket in the wall.  Is this how it should be? Please help.

Thanks,

Rob.

[quote user="dos-urbane"]

<snip> We then received an email from Orange informing us of a 09 telephone number but are a little confused as to what this number is for. Thanks,

Rob.

[/quote]

Hi Rob,

It's your VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) number.  Works thru the Livebox.  Basic service is free calls to land lines in France, I seem to remember.  (We also pay a fixed amount for free calls to UK land lines (except 0870 etc).

Sorry - can't now remember if you have to wait for it to activate or not.  Might be worth disconnecting and re-connecting the Livebox.

HTH,

Craig

[quote user="dos-urbane"]

Can anyone offer any help/knowledge with France telecom/orange telephone numbers. We recently signed up with France telecom and received a livebox et all. We've got t'internet up and running (wireless)and are (so far) very impressed. We then received an email from Orange informing us of a 09 telephone number but are a little confused as to what this number is for. We are thinking it is for making local/international? calls (as part of the package), but when trying to dial in to it from friends houses, cannot get through, and we have to unplug the phone from the blue lead of the livebox and put it back into the ADSL enabled socket in the wall.  Is this how it should be? Please help.

Thanks,

Rob.

[/quote]

It can take a few days for the number to be activated. You should use the phone plugged in to the blue socket on the livebox. If you have another phone and socket, you could use one phone through the livebox for making calls and another to receive calls on your main fixed line number. This would mean that the line is not engaged to receive calls if someone is using the livebox phone to call up, mostly for free.

You can check in the livebox settings if the 'telephonie' is active.

all the instructions to do this are here on this page

If it works the same as our alicebox here (and I think it does) then calls to both your FT line number and your voip number should ring on the phone plugged in to the livebox. Calls to your VOIP number will only ring on the livebox phone. I am assuming that you have chosen to keep the FT line.

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, this livebox jobbie is driving me mad!!!! I can make outgoing calls through the livebox, but  incoming calls on the 09 number (when connected through the blue lead to the livebox) just go dead. When I ring the 05 number from my mobile (through the livebox) I get a ringing tone on the mobile, but nothing on the fixed telephone. When I connect the fixed telephone to the wall phone socket (through an ADSL filter) and then call the 05 number..... voila, it works fine. I checked online with my account and it shows that all is connected and working correctly. I contacted the France Telecom "Help line" who whilst good at selling you the product, refuse to offer any suggestions stating that I must contact the technical helpline. All well and good, except that whilst my French is getting better, I'm still not fluent enough to hold a technical conversation down a telephone. So, any suggestions please!!!!!

Thanks,

Rob.

One possibility - can you try another phone in the livebox. Preferably a french one as it is a known issue that some UK phones will not ring over here.

I am not saying this (a uk phone) is the cause - but it is worth trying. Also not all telephones, french or otherwise, are compatible with voip calls through the livebox

there is a list of compatible phones on this Orange page

scroll right down the page.... if your phone is not listed it does not mean that it won't work, just that all the others will

Danny

Rob,

One more thing - you say that you checked online and that everything correct but did you verify the settings in the livebox configuration pages?

it must say

"téléphonie par adsl - activé"

if you haven't done so, check the link I posted previously.

If you need help, just ask

Danny

My basic understanding: a phone should be connected to the Livebox to make your outgoing free calls. This is the 09 number and when you ring someone from this phone it will show on their phone as 09xxxxx, which causes quite a bit of confusion. Sometimes people ring back on that to ask who we are as the number isn't recognised. Then you put ADSL filters into the wall sockets and plug in your other phones ... these are your incoming call lines which are on your 'proper' phone number, the one that people call you on.

The Livebox can be a little cantankerous in the first few days. Our outgoing 09 line just wouldn't be live even though the configuration showed it as 'Active'. So we had to unplug the livebox from the electricity, count to 30, and plug in again and hey presto it all worked fine. Now, months later, it seems to have settled down into its new home and we have had no problems.

Hi everyone, thanks for all your help!!! I contacted France telecom and it would appear that we have been given 2 lines, a standard FT fixed line along with an internet line. They tell me that this is more beneficial because if the internet goes down, we will still have the use of the normal line. "So how much more does this cost?" No more extra allegedly, it's now part of the service. So, we now have 2 numbers an 09 for internet and an 05 fixed. Only problem is we now need another telephone as we cannot utilise both numbers together. We have to plug into the livebox to make and receive internet based calls (free to uk/european landlines), but if someone wants to call us on our landline, we have to be plugged into the wall socket. Confused?  Well yes, but a little wiser. Now our friends up the road want to know why they have not got 2 lines as they ae paying the same amount. Cat amongst the pigeons maybe? Cheers,

Rob.