I have IE8 Beta (I hardly ever use it).

An "important update" called IE8 release Candidate 1 for Windows Vista came up on Windows Update yesterday, but when I tried to install it, the laptop was left hanging on two occasions (everything locked, no keyboard or mouse control).

1. Has anyone had the same problem?
  2. Does anyone know how vital this update is?

Hi

Have had trouble with IE 8, have now dumped IE altogether, the software is getting rather too intrusive, making decisions for itself etc,,,am now using Mozilla Firefox, with I have say great results, Its much more user friendly........

[quote user="tj"]Hi

Have had trouble with IE 8, have now dumped IE altogether, the software is getting rather too intrusive, making decisions for itself etc,,,am now using Mozilla Firefox, with I have say great results, Its much more user friendly........

[/quote]

Same here!

I just want to know about this specific update.

If there is a security update then yes it is essential.

Since IE8 is a beta version, the update may improve some elements.

If I were you and need to have IE, I would go back to IE7,,,,, beta versions of any programs are really to allow software savvy people the chance to use it , find the bugs and provide feedback so improvements and fixes can be made.

[quote user="Clair"]I have IE8 Beta (I hardly ever use it).

An "important update" called IE8 release Candidate 1 for Windows Vista came up on Windows Update yesterday, but when I tried to install it, the laptop was left hanging on two occasions (everything locked, no keyboard or mouse control).

1. Has anyone had the same problem?

2. Does anyone know how vital this update is?

[/quote]

I installed it on Monday evening on two PCs; a Vista Desk Top and my new "akoya" Netbook with XP SP3. So far no problems at all BUT I did a complete uninstall of the resident IE 8 Beta  on the Vista PC as the RC 1 WILL NOT slipstream over the Beta 2. I as usual did a CCleaner run and also cleaned the register. Note the uninstall of the IE 8 Beta prompts a reboot and returns the PC to IE 7. There are some bugs with the Beta 2 which are corrected in the RC 1, for example a contextual menu will sometimes stay "glued" to the screen. The compatibility issue on some sites is simplified, it now has an Icon , so it just requires a click. RC stands for Release Candidate meaning  the development is finished unless any final bugs are found but only minor changes wiil be done IF NECESSARY before the release of  IE Final Version.  Go for it, it wont BITE!!

Posted with Internet Explorer 8 RC1. 

PS On the temporary return to IE 7 the PC will possibly update all the Security updates that have been missed whilst using IE8; it is worth updating as a lot of Maxthon type browser stuff use IE 7 as a base. 

If you have a PC with french OP then update via Microsoft France; there are some 25 languages available apart from english.

Try this...

Uninstalling Internet Explorer 8 RC1 in Windows Vista

If you try to uninstall Internet Explorer 8, but it does not show up in the Add/Remove programs section of the Control Panel under Installed Updates (click View installed updates in the left panel), follow these steps.

1. Download the System Update Readiness tool. For more information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

947821  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/ ) Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista and for Windows Server 2008

2. On the page, find the package for your version of Windows. Download and install it.

3. After the installation finishes, click Start, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click View Installed Updates.

4. Wait for the list to populate. This might take a few moments.

5. Internet Explorer 8 update should now appear in the list of installed updates. Select it in the list, and then click Uninstall

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949787

[quote user="Clair"]Ooops, I meant Vista![:$]

(still suffering from man-flu, as you can see... [:'(])
[/quote]

Demarrer>Panneau de Configuration>Programmes>Programmes et Funcionalités>In left margin, click on Mise à jours installés. Wait for list of all KBs etc to generate in pop up window. Then scroll down till you find IE8 Beta 2: Click on it and commence uninstall routine following the indications given. DONT worry if you have a French Language file close by that will disappear automatically with the IE8 uninstall. A PC reboot will be requested. Bonne chance!