Hi People

Need some advice please, what should we go for, and LCD  or a Plasma, why I ask s my daughter has just bought a 42 inch Plasma, we were invited to dinner yesterday, while waiting for it we were watching the football on the screen.

The goals looked very small almost as though the picture needed openning up, top to bottom, did not want to cause a fuss but just mentioned it and got a funny look. It had only been delivered the day before so maybe they had not had a chance to play with it.

It just did not seem right, its a Samsang.

Colin

LCD no question.  Plasma used to be better but now the picture quality is so much better with LCD.  Those huge screens are actually grown as a single crystal, remarkable.   Plasma also has the problem of pixel dropout which gets worse over time.

As for the picture size, I would think that is a matter of tinkering with the settings.  The one I have (Samsung LCD) came set with the default picture size something odd and the colour and brightness set to Stun!!  I spent ages messing with the settings to get it how I wanted.  BTW when setting up, play a DVD, not a TV channel as you will get a more reliable/repeatable input.  Also get the skin tones right and the rest will follow by itself.

Very pleased with my TV.  Sony and Samsung use exactly the same screen manufacurer and use the first quality screens so nothing to choose between them.  The second quality screens go to the no-name brands.

I agree with Pierre.  Although my Plasma is 4 years old and still fab', the technology for LCD tellies has so caught up that there is no contest any more, imo.  To say nothing of the weight difference and the amount of power used - far less for the LCD on both counts.  Or you could take teapot's (sound) advice and wait, although no doubt something different again will pop up in the meantime. It's rarely the right time to buy any of these things.

I see in this  month's Empire magazine that Philips have just brought out a 56" 21:9 (cinema aspect ratio) LCD tellie.  Now if I had the money, that is what I would get now, no question.[8-|]

[quote user="cooperlola"]I see in this  month's Empire magazine that Philips have just brought out a 56" 21:9 (cinema aspect ratio) LCD tellie.  Now if I had the money, that is what I would get now, no question.[8-|][/quote]

I saw this one this afternoon at Darty in Brive! Awesome! [:-))] (and over €3000 [:'(])

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="cooperlola"]I see in this  month's Empire magazine that Philips have just brought out a 56" 21:9 (cinema aspect ratio) LCD tellie.  Now if I had the money, that is what I would get now, no question.[8-|][/quote]

I saw this one this afternoon at Darty in Brive! Awesome! [:-))] (and over €3000 [:'(])

[/quote]I'm hoping that when my plasma eventually dies that they'll be a bit cheaper.