Sim card for texting from France - which is best?

Hi! We live in the UK but have a cottage in Brittany which we visit as often as possible -  day-trips, long weekends and month-long stays - whatever we can fit in!

I have been reading the posts about sim cards but have not yet found an answer to my question. When in France, I text my daughters in the UK several times a day, but I do not (or very rarely) make or receive calls to/from the UK. I had a French sim from Maxsim but they went out of business so I lost all my credit, and all the other sim suppliers that I have managed to find offer cheap calls and often no charge to receive calls from the UK, but nobody seems to offer cheap texts, ( at least, they are only a fraction of a pence cheaper than my UK supplier [40p per text msg] so not really much advantage). Some are horribly expensive to buy too, and only a small part of their cost goes to credit your phone!

Can anyone please advise me if they know of a sim card that I can buy to put in my spare mobile phone that would give me cheap texts to the UK? I have read with interest about the Leclerc sim but the tariff for texting has not been mentioned and for some reason I cannot download the pdf file from their site.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks[:)]

[quote user="Rosyposy_2001"]When in France, I text my daughters in the UK several times a day, but I do not (or very rarely) make or receive calls to/from the UK....I have read with interest about the Leclerc sim but the tariff for texting has not been mentioned and for some reason I cannot download the pdf file from their site.[/quote]

Leclerc mobile tariffs:

They will take €1.50 each month, whether you use it or not, until the credit is used up.

If you use the card and have credit, the card will not expire.  If you don't make any call or txt I think it expires after 12 months but not sure.

This is still a better deal than other providers as the credit does not just disappear. 

Typically with others, you buy say €20 credit and after a month it's gone, not transferable, nothing.  Strictly 'use it or lose it' . Not like the UK at all.

Coops, my post crossed with yours and I had to take a close look at the rates again because I thought I had got it wrong [:$]

If you don't top the phone up and  the credit runs out, the rules say they'll deduct the monthly charge when you next do a top up.  Thus, unless you change your SIM  every time you come to France, you will cop for the 1.50 charge.  Still pretty good though, by French PAYG standards.

I'm still reading through the rules to see if I can confirm Pierre's 12 months bit, but no luck thus far.  But I'm sure I've read somewhere that you can continue to receive calls for a certain length after after expiry; I just can't remember how long that was.

[quote user="cooperlola"]  But I'm sure I've read somewhere that you can continue to receive calls for a certain length after after expiry; I just can't remember how long that was.

[/quote]

3 months - I've just checked the brochure. 

RosyPosy,

Note, if you are having a two-way “text conversation” with your daughters, they will pay something like 25p per text to text you on a French mobile as text messages to international mobiles are not included in any text allowance they may get.

Although it means using 2 mobiles, it would be cheaper (or free) for them to text you on your UK mobile and for you to then reply from a Leclerc mobile.

Remember you only get 160 characters per text message, so a quick call may be cheaper…..