I am trying to run a disk format programme to format the hard disk on my Ipod 'cause it decided to go toes up. The PC is telling me that I need Admistration rights to run this programme. As far as I know I am the Administrator, so can anyone please tell me how I convince this stupid machine of that fact?

Clair you really are a star of a milk monitor! It has allowed me to open the programme, BUT it is now telling me that the Ipod is write protected! If I try to format it with Windowz it doesn't apper to be write protected, but it doesn't do anything even after 1/2 hour or so.

I have put the Ipod into disk mode.

All of this happened after it fell on the tiled floor yesterday, so I think that I have managed to cream cracker the disk[+o(]

SHOUT AT IT! If you are anywhere in France then I am surprised that you didn't hear me[:-))]

I am now thinking that it is going to be an expensive repair?[+o(]

Reset iPod classic (if it isn’t responding) Slide the Hold switch to HOLD and back again. Press the Menu and Center buttons at the same time for about 6 seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

Have you tried this - the reason I ask - mine took a tumble and I could do nothing with it - the above remedied the situation

Good luck......

Nell. long live my ipod, 'cause it died! I am going to have to get a replacement cause the screen died as well when I was removing the back to check the disk. The disk was definately dead because it was trying to access all the time. I did find the reset and the various button selections including putting it into Diagnostic mode. ll to no avail I'm afraid!

I think that the replacement will be one without the hard disk. Apart from that they now only do a 120 gig instead of an 80 which was plenty big enough. I fancy the new Ipod Touch 16! [8-|]

I have a 16gb iPhone and it is a brilliantly versatile device but I LOATH LOATH LOATH iTunes and all the pfaffing about synching, being tied to one PC, etc. etc., with an absolute passion [:'(]

Although I do have some music on it I rarely use it for that and use my Archos MP3 player, which is simply Drag-n-Drop, or my Samsung Netbook for video playback, instead.

For anybody interested the latest version of Winamp natively supports the iTouch/iPhone but it is still not quite Drag-n-Drop.