Fitted an old 60cm dish at the weekend.  All of the main channels come through fine but some of those down the scale say "no satellite signal received".  Whilst not particularly bothered at not being able to receive Movies 24+1 (when I can get Movies 24 ), I am mildly interested in the reasons as I had assumed that as all channels come from the same satellite they would come with the same strength and it would be all or nothing.  On the set up I am getting signal strength at about 2/3rds and picture quanity at just over 1/2.

Is it the dish size/quality, varying signal strengths for different channels? Or is it just one of life's mysteries?

Thanks 

Not all the transponders have the same signal strength, some (don't ask me which) have much more Ooomph than others.  I don't know if Movies 24 and 24+1 are on the same transponder but I doubt it, that way if you lose a transponder you haven't lost all the channels.  Eggs in basket etc.

Officially, according to Astra, you need a larger dish for your area.

The new freesat channels are on Astra 2D, which has a much smaller footprint on the earth, and it only really covers the UK. The further south you go in France, the larger the dish you need.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Not all the transponders have the same signal strength, some (don't ask me which) have much more Ooomph than others.  I don't know if Movies 24 and 24+1 are on the same transponder but I doubt it, that way if you lose a transponder you haven't lost all the channels.  Eggs in basket etc.[/quote]

That makes sense thanks

Did you remember to give the LNB a slight clockwise twist (as viewed from in front of the dish) so that it's skewed slightly?

Can make a lot of difference,   and is often overlooked.   About 15 to 30 deg should do it.

Channels on Eurobird often do seem to be a bit harder to render totally reliable,   partly because that satellite is very slightly east of the main cluster.   In theory if those channels are a priority then moving the dish a tad eastwards might help,  but risks penalising 2D which - for many - is the important sat -  carrying as it does the BBC.