how do I turn off translator?

My 94 year-old mother is slowly getting to grips with email. - It's a miracle - and, provided she does a bit of keyboard work every day, most of the instruction and tuition (remotely from here in France), seem to stick. There are the usual hurdles caused by finger trouble, (where have my 'send' and create; buttons gone? etc) which I usually manage to help her over by phone.

There is one, however, which has me baffled. She says when she hovers the cursor over a word (I think it's in both Open Office Word, and Outlook Express) it turns into a magnifying glass and then a small popup appears offering her an auto-translation of the word into German! I suspect the hand of my IT-illiterate brother with the German girl-friend here.

Since I've never encountered such a thing I'm having difficulty in advising her how to get rid of it.

Can anybody offer a solution?

p

Could be almost anything unfortunately.

You might have to talk her through Start/Programes or even Control Panel/Add/Remove Programes to see if you can identify what it is and get rid of it.

Can't you ask your brother or his GF what they did. I'd certainly ban them from ever going near the machine ever again !

it sounds to me like it is to do with her internet application (explorer or firefox) where it is happening... I use it all the time.

If so, go to the add ons and disable the one that resembles a translater.

[quote user="osie"]it sounds to me like it is to do with her internet application (explorer or firefox) where it is happening... I use it all the time.

If so, go to the add ons and disable the one that resembles a translater.

[/quote]

I use a FF translator, but it only works within the FF browser. It does not operate within Open Office.

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]Open Office Word[/quote]Missed that, did you mean this ?

I doubt the Open Office word processor is called Word, Redmond would not be at all happy with that [;-)]

So which is it Open Office or Microsoft Word ?

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="Gyn_Paul"]Open Office Word[/quote]Missed that, did you mean this ?

I doubt the Open Office word processor is called Word, Redmond would not be at all happy with that [;-)]

So which is it Open Office or Microsoft Word ?

[/quote]

Quite right ErnieY, it's actually called 'Writer' but it's on the machine downstairs so I didn't have immediate access to the correct programme title.

On the other hand, you knew exactly what I meant, didn't you.

And I'm still no nearer (until I get on a plane and go to the UK) to a fix. We've gone through the programme lists, and everything in the control panel/add/remove programmes listing, and there doesn't seem to be anything there which I didn't load originally.

It's possibly part of the internet settings on IE, but I woudn't have thought him adept enough to turn something like that on.

hmmm....

p

Are you using Google Toolbar? I have it in conjunction with Firefox toolbar (you can have it as a replacement for the Firefox one depending on the settings).  It's a useful tool because you can go to any computer and access all your favourites by signing in with your gmail account!  There are loads of gadgets on it.

This translator is on there, I find it really annoying.  I have it in French but I don't actually find it very useful. You can turn it of in the tools - double click on the spanner on the right.

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]Quite right ErnieY, it's actually called 'Writer'.....On the other hand, you knew exactly what I meant, didn't you.[/quote]I suspected, I didn't know [;-)]

If whatever it is is a standalone applet which doesn't need installing then it won't appear in the programmes list.

Have you looked in Start\All Programes\Startup