Second computer set up.

Hello,

I have an original live box d952 about 3 years old that runs my PC (XP 2000) using an ether net connection, I have bought a lap top (Vista) that I am trying to set up using the wireless connection, it will not load. I do have new Orange Vista live box 6E6D available.

Do I need to contact Orange to change any contract as they supplied the original live box or can I go ahead and load the PC and lap top using the new live box?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie.  

Hello,

not sure what you mean by Orange Vista livebox 6E6D. Vista is the Microsoft operating system and the livebox is the modem/router by Orange. It is not operating system specific.

Does the laptop work with the ethernet cable?

In order to try to answer your question about contracts, can you explain where/how you acquired the 1st livebox and the 2nd one and whether you pay rental for them or bought them outright.

The easiest thing to do is to just set up the newer livebox if you want. If it works with the Vista laptop then fine, but if not, it would suggest that you are not setting up the wifi correctly.

Danny

Hello Danny,

Thanks for the reply, to clarify, I bought the second live box 6 weeks ago, it has Nom Livebox 6E6D marked on it, it states on the box for Vista, XP windows 98 etc.

Our old livebox was supplied by Orange about 3 years ago as part of our contract.

The contract is telephone and internet.

One point the liveboxes aren't the same, the old one being probably 3 times as big as the new one!

Cheers for your time and hope this makes sense?

Charlie..

Nom Livebox 6e6d is the SSID of the Orange Modem/Router.

There have been to date 5 different Liveboxes.

New boxes are smaller and often called Mini Liveboxes.

Your computer is probably still configured for the old SSID (d952) and old WEP cryption key from your earlier Livebox.

[quote user="TefkaC"]Hello Danny,

Thanks for the reply, to clarify, I bought the second live box 6 weeks ago, it has Nom Livebox 6E6D marked on it, it states on the box for Vista, XP windows 98 etc.

Our old livebox was supplied by Orange about 3 years ago as part of our contract.

The contract is telephone and internet.

One point the liveboxes aren't the same, the old one being probably 3 times as big as the new one!

Cheers for your time and hope this makes sense?

Charlie..

[/quote]

I am not sure why you bought the new livebox if you have one already - you are still paying 3 euros a month to rent it, I presume.

But... there is no problem with using the new "Livebox mini" at all. Orange won't care what you use. As long as there is a livebox,you will still be able to use the 'telephonie par internet' (voip - i.e phone plugged in to the livebox) for your free calls

You will first have to set up the new livebox and then set up both computers to work with it, if you want them to connect by wifi.

If you are going to use the ethernet cable for one PC then it will not matter, you just plug in the ethernet cable to the livebox and away you go.

Follow the instructions that came with the livebox.

If you have trouble with the French instructions, let us know. It is not really that difficult.

Well done Pachapapa for recognising the coded message! If it was connected by ethernet only, and youi plan to continue to connect this way, then there should be no codes, keys etc to setup on the original PC 

Danny