Hi Partout,

UKTelecom no doubt an excellent choice for English expats in France or even Brits with second homes, as I have!

All bills can be viewed on line, paid for by direct debit from your UK bank account and any problems, an English speaking back-up team.

Call charges are very good as you have probably seen from their ads.

I started with them just as a service provider, then signed on for their Broadband and now have taken on their line rental ( which is marginaly cheaper than FranceTelecom ) but has the added advantage of all being billed on the same account.

In my opinion, a good deal all round.

P.S. I have no financial interests in UKTelecom.

Regards ...............James2

Don't care much for the condition "In the event of late payment or abnormally high

usage UK Telecom reserves the right to restrict or suspend the service." Who decides what is abnornally high usage?

Is 29 Euros a month par for the course for broadband/phone in France.   It seems very expensive compared with similar packages in the UK.

Im thinking of getting a phone and broadband installed and as my French is not yet up to arguing/negotiating standard the English language side of it is attractive.

[quote user="Jay"]Don't care much for the condition "In the event of late payment or abnormally high

usage UK Telecom reserves the right to restrict or suspend the service." Who decides what is abnornally high usage?

[/quote]No prizes for guessing the answer to that. A typical UK ISP trick and for me at least any hint of a cap would certainly be enough to dismiss them as a potential provider.

There are also the €25 activation €45 cancellation fees to bear in mind.

• 4 weeks later...
Since we joined more than a year ago we have had a splendid unbroken service. This came to an end two or three weeks ago when the changeover to the new broadband provider started without warning us.

It is not an exaggeration to say that starting with the turning off of the outgoing email service three weeks ago, we have not had much more than an intermittent broadband service.

Not a single email to UKTelecom over this matter has been answered and no telephone messages have been returned (the "help" line is constantly engaged and now doesn't even take messages any more, except from prospective new subscribers).

The internet service drops out several times a day and, since the final cutover to the new service on July 1st we have not been able to use email out any more except in a crippled mode. There are also possible problems about the resources (DNS servers and their response times) committed by the the provider (SFR? - we haven't been told).

Even the standard of Customer Service has changed - it used to be from native English-speakers, but now seems to be totally French-based, with the normal French attitude to customer service - pleasant but not very productive.

I am sincerely hoping that after the errors and poor planning of this conversion (like forgetting to provide an email service), the standard of the broadband service returns to its previous excellent level and I will never again have to try in vain to contact UKTelecom French Customer Service.